Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, mag e the search feature doesn’t work that good or I may not be doing something correctly. I say that bc I know several have had to ask this before- what is the difference between the full or slip-on? Anything worth the extra $200+ for an aluminum pipe on the full? Is the sound better, doubt it due to all the videos. Is the performance better? I doubt that also due to how the advertisements read. So what is it? Just th let look of the pipe being better thru the little whole on the side of the 4wheeler or when you take the cover off those seldom moments throughout the year? So why so much more? It’s hundreds no matter what brand for the full compared to the slip-on. If you put that money in stocks and in three years you would have enough to pay for a new set of tires and wheels, so please explain why it’s so much and what the benefits are compared to just the slip-on.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
The Full System:
It looks better (opinion based)
It sounds better (opinion based)
And more importantly, it offers more performance potential (dyno proven fact).

You just can't get the same performance increases from a Slip-on compared to a full system. That is dyno proven. When you have a factory pipe and a performance pipe in your hand to compare, you'll see the difference. The performance pipe will flow more exhaust air. When you tune your engine properly to the increased exhaust flow, you get better performance out of your engine.

The key to it all is proper tuning. If you don't jet your carburetor properly or you don't tune your fuel injection properly, then you can actually hurt your performance with high flow exhausts.....and severely effect reliability.

Now whether all this is worth the cost of admission is again, opinion based. And remember, buying the exhaust is just one part of the equation. If you have a carb, then you need to purchase a jet kit and spark plugs and spend a possible countless hours jetting the carb. This part can be frustrating. If you have fuel injection, you will also need to purchase a several hundred dollar fuel programmer. It's expensive.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would go with the slip on. Less change for the moment means it's easier to tune. Then save a little longer and get a pipe. Exhausts such as HMF are built so you can buy the muffler or the pipe. So buy them separately and you can get that exhaust you have been drooling over for looks and no one is really going to see you didn't dump the extra cash for the pipe. This is a personal opinion, if you want to have insane performance gains. Get the pipe.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for both of your detailed input to my question. I have a 16 SE so fuel injected. I’m leaning towards the HMF Titan Quiet blackout and now more towards the full system. Of course the HMF optimizer also. What I’ve read is it comes pretty close good to go. Maybe a little adjustments.
What I am not clear on due to mixthings I’ve read is whether or now this will Help cut down on all the backfire the stock does.
I’m not clear if this will solve it, reduce it, or if I still have to block the AIS. Which is something I haven’t learned how to do just yet.
This past weekend I installed a JBS Miller sheave with 16 gram weights, slugs for the clutch. Everything except the purple spring due to having issues getting it on and off without a tool. Couldn’t get the tire and wheel trick to work, so going to make a compression tool or buy one.
Thanks again for your help and answers.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You will have to block the AIS. Otherwise the backfire is just louder. I personally don't feel Titan is much to look compared to other exhausts out there. However the blackout is awesome and so much better than stock in sound and looks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted the Barkers Duals at first but even with quiet cores, people say they are really loud. I ride a lot in my subdivision getting to trails and don’t want it loud where the neighbors complain so much my kids can’t ride their small ATVs on the streets anymore. Plus for hunting, I don’t want it loud.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wanted the Barkers Duals at first but even with quiet cores, people say they are really loud. I ride a lot in my subdivision getting to trails and don’t want it loud where the neighbors complain so much my kids can’t ride their small ATVs on the streets anymore. Plus for hunting, I don’t want it loud.
If I had the cash to buy a Titan I would. They are the ultimate aftermarket if you don't want it loud. Just for giggles, take your muffler off, three bolts is all it takes, and start it up. I bet you can really appreciate the muffler after hearing the beast in person!

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Thanks guys for both of your detailed input to my question. I have a 16 SE so fuel injected. I’m leaning towards the HMF Titan Quiet blackout and now more towards the full system. Of course the HMF optimizer also. What I’ve read is it comes pretty close good to go. Maybe a little adjustments.
What I am not clear on due to mixthings I’ve read is whether or now this will Help cut down on all the backfire the stock does.
I’m not clear if this will solve it, reduce it, or if I still have to block the AIS. Which is something I haven’t learned how to do just yet.
This past weekend I installed a JBS Miller sheave with 16 gram weights, slugs for the clutch. Everything except the purple spring due to having issues getting it on and off without a tool. Couldn’t get the tire and wheel trick to work, so going to make a compression tool or buy one.
Thanks again for your help and answers.
I went with HMF parts for ease of not wanting to do a bunch of tuning...the plug and play is a nice feature but not the most hp gain option out there. I'm happy with my choice after 1500 trouble free miles knock on wood.

Reactions: S1283
1 - 8 of 8 Posts