Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2008 660, the shift lever will catch low,and reverse just fine, will catch park if I pull down hard on it, neutral if i play with it shifting from high to neutral and back. It will show high a lot, but hardly ever catches it, and if it does catch it, it’s a hard shift, and eventually comes out after a minute or two. I have tried adjusting the lever, but after trying for two days, couldn’t get it, and pulled it all the way off, and tried to shift with my hand, the only gear it felt like it would catch is low, and reverse, and park. the rest didn’t feel like they were there. I have a parts bike and it feels way tighter there, what internally could be my problem, and if it is internal, how much of a pain is it to change?

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
As for what is worn, that's hard to say without tearing into it but not too important now as you have replacement parts in hand.
Splitting the case is the issue, do you want to go to the time and expense to rebuild what you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being that I have a parts bike on hand, I don’t have a problem splitting into it to see what I’m getting myself into, ive never split a grizzly case before, only been into ranchers and foreman’s

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
If you do I suggest a f.s.m. and the tools required, maybe you already have them.
Also, it is HIGHLY recommended some old parts be replaced with NEW during the re-assembly, like the cylinder/head studs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it that bad to split the case or should I just deal with not having high gear? Most of my riding, i don’t go into high anyways, but I just worry about it tearing everything else up

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
is it that bad to split the case or should I just deal with not having high gear? Most of my riding, i don’t go into high anyways, but I just worry about it tearing everything else up
Splitting the case means every part becomes separate from all others, it's not bad, but takes time and attention to every detail. That's why I mentioned the f.s.m. with ALL details listed in order, for you to follow.
Since you asked my opinion....I would do it, and could, and because of my area trails would never take a broke machine out for a ride. You may never get far from the house so a short walk back may not be a big deal, but around here......two days in the last week I rode 50+ mile in a day, and didn't see another rider either day.
I do not want to walk across this 20 miles back to the truck;
https://flic.kr/p/LHMfhR and notice how fast the weather blows in, this next picture was after turning around to see what was at my back;
https://flic.kr/p/LJdQjt
and with things wearing out, you might stop for a drink and it not go into any gear, and there you'll be remembering the parts you have back at the house.
I ride with Murphy like many others do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts