Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This tread has been hugely helpful. Bought a Yamaha Kodiak 350 in 2018 and starting seeing similar problems just a year later. On hotter days after climbing to around 8500-9000 in elevation, and on an incline, with 1/2 tank of gas, I would get the sputtering and stalls. I'd let it sit for a few minutes before trying to start and it would briefly start, but putter out as I would use the throttle. If I turned it around and let it roll down hill, I was able to start it and would run fine. It's completely fine riding anywhere else, but the combo of heat, elevation, incline, and 1/2 of gas seems to be what's common. You'd think Yamaha would have taken measures to fix these issues years ago, but apparently even after these posts in 2012, 6 years later they still didn't resolve much. I took it in after it started happening the first time, and Yamaha replaced some parts at no charge. The dealer said there was a recall and the labor/parts were covered. After fix, I didn't notice issues for about a year, but has returned this year in 2021. I think it was always there, but during the in between year it just so happened I didn't put my machine in those particular circumstances. I'll have to try some of these solutions; 87 octane, StarTron Fuel Stabilizer, keep full tank, new air filter, and if I get time do a heat shield wrap on the gas tank.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,049 Posts
Try non-ethanol fuel. Both myself and @wgc have experienced the stalling with hard or no start when at altitude 10k + feet and it is a warmer day, 1/2 or less tank and 10% corn fuel. Does not seem to happen with non-ethanol fuel.

Reactions: BornYamahaing

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Have had the same problem with my 2013 and my 2021. Does the same thing as yours did. Your running down the trail and puff, you get the symptoms of running out of fuel. I've done the entire wrap the fuel tank with heat shield material and it helped but not much. To me not worth the pain in the a$$ to wrap it. The quick solution is to put in gas (it's cooler) and it will be okay for awhile. After a lot of testing I have absolutely no problem when I run non-ethanol gas on Hot days at 12000ft. Things to look for- is the gas boiling (mine never did) and is their pressure when you open the gas cap. If the gas cap has pressure when you open it , you're having venting problems. If not do the Non-Ethanol gas (any octane) and the problem is solved.

Reactions: BornYamahaing
61 - 63 of 63 Posts