Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want the best for my new 2016 grizzly, but I also do not like spending my hard earned money on an oil that is not necessary. I am going to stick with the yamalube during my initial break-in period, but am open for other options on oil types/brands. I have spent a few years on a web site named "bob is the oil guy", and have seen quite a few positive posts and used oil analysis reports on diesel rated oil with the JASO certification such as shell rotella. 15w40 for summer, and 5w40 for winter. I just wanted all of your opinions on this highly debatable matter. Please give feedback based on your personal results regarding clutch issues and or other experiences with your oil of choice. If I choose to stick with yamalube, im going to have to shop online for this expensive stuff. Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
9,254 Posts
I use the Rotello Dino in all my machines and have no reason to change.
Original wet clutch working as new.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Amsoil 0W-40 for me year round. Grizz gets used a fair bit in the winter plowing snow so this really helps with the cold starts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I run rotella 5w40, never had any problems. I do a lot of heavy hauling in the fall & winter time , never had any problems

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Amsoil for me as well it's in every motorized thing I own , I order it from there web site and have it directly shipped to my house , I buy it buy the case(s) .

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Rotella is good. Amsoil if you want to splurge is top of the line.
I've used lucas, not crazy about it. Seems to lose viscosity fast.
Yamalube actually seems to do good for me too.
Royal purple is a waste of money in my eyes, not sure why it has a cult like following.

·
Registered
857 Posts
In my opinion just about any oil is good enough for my atv as long as it's rated for a wet clutch, clean and filled to the correct quantity. There's too many other factors that will wear out the motor before a 'low quality' oil will.

I would bet that at least 1 out of 30 people on this site have had to deal with water in the oil from swamping and that water was likely filthy. Probably another 1 out of 20 will have run with an intake boot loose or the air filter out of position allowing dirt in at some point. More still have accidentally run on almost no oil because of a problem with a drain plug or a leak they didn't notice. Or you ran without coolant or a plugged rad which overheated it. Or you bought your machine used and don't know that the previous owner put 3000km on the original break-in oil. Or you burned up your wet clutch and sent all that crap through your oil system. While I was experimenting with my tuner I had mine running too rich which resulted in a ton gasoline getting past the rings and into the oil. I probably only put 2 or 3 hours on like that but it still wasn't good. Any of these things is worse than a lifetime of Walmart oil.

For someone like Lonerider, who can put on a 10's of thousands of kilometers, oil quality will be a factor. For mine, and a lot of other machines, oil quality will not be what finishes the engine off. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
In my opinion just about any oil is good enough for my atv as long as it's rated for a wet clutch, clean and filled to the correct quantity. There's too many other factors that will wear out the motor before a 'low quality' oil will.

I would bet that at least 1 out of 30 people on this site have had to deal with water in the oil from swamping and that water was likely filthy. Probably another 1 out of 20 will have run with an intake boot loose or the air filter out of position allowing dirt in at some point. More still have accidentally run on almost no oil because of a problem with a drain plug or a leak they didn't notice. Or you ran without coolant or a plugged rad which overheated it. Or you bought your machine used and don't know that the previous owner put 3000km on the original break-in oil. Or you burned up your wet clutch and sent all that crap through your oil system. While I was experimenting with my tuner I had mine running too rich which resulted in a ton gasoline getting past the rings and into the oil. I probably only put 2 or 3 hours on like that but it still wasn't good. Any of these things is worse than a lifetime of Walmart oil.

For someone like Lonerider, who can put on a 10's of thousands of kilometers, oil quality will be a factor. For mine, and a lot of other machines, oil quality will not be what finishes the engine off. That's just my opinion though.

Truer words were never spoken.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
My opinion on the best oil is simply CLEAN OIL. Brand or weight is your perogitive .. keep it clean and you are good

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rotella T-6 5w40, because I run it in my Cummins..I always have some left over..no issue's and it's fairly inexpensive to boot. I recognize your handle from Cummins forum good info on that site too, welcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts