Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cleaned up the Griz a bit this week and noticed a few issues with my Glide Plate. I was going to just add some washers and fix it the best I could, then I started wondering if maybe Yamaha would step up and warranty the damages. I called my dealership and asked, they sent an email off to Yamaha, Yamaha emailed back asking for photos. So I took the photos below and sent them off. Now it's a waiting game.

Newly installed, all fasteners torqued properly.

11 Months old, fasteners pulling through glide plate.

Forward mounting bolts still in perfect shape.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Man that sucks. I remember thekevin posting a pic where one of his pulled thru. Keep us posted as to what Yamaha has to say. Good luck.

Reactions: Denali4me

·
Registered
900 Posts
They'll say its normal wear or abuse. I doubt you'll see much help on a $200 part. Was it dealer installed? That may help you.

Warn stood behind a winch issue I had a few years ago because I had a receipt showing it was dealer installed at new delivery. The winch brake didn't hold anymore and they said a packing bolt that was installed below the drum was supposed to be removed at installation.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed it better than any dealership would have. I have complete faith that Yamaha will stand behind their product and I will see a new glide plate at my door in a few days. Lol

If not, I'll be trading the Griz in on an XMR. (Never!!) Your move Yamaha...

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MORSNO, sounds like you're speaking from experience. Did you try to make a warranty claim?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Those clamps/bolts leave a lot to be desired, if they were better I don't think they would have ripped through.

But at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they say normal wear and tear or abuse. That's usually how it goes. I'm hoping they back it up, another point for Yamaha.

·
Registered
900 Posts
MORSNO, sounds like you're speaking from experience. Did you try to make a warranty claim?
No, I also have glide plates on both of my Grizzly's but after seeing what Yamaha does for guys with major issues, I doubt they will do much. I'm pulling for you and hoping you see a new plate, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's good to see that your local dealer actually is helping, I have a good one too!

Reactions: Denali4me

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is really no big deal ,same thing happened to mine.I used a large ty rap ,about .25 inches wide.They last a long time and are easy to replace.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I watched a riding buddy rip his glide plate off last night hitting a fairly large rock. didnt see what exactly broke but the back of it was hanging off the machine. looked like some bolts pulled through.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got my answer back from Yamaha and it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. At least my dealership comped me a second set of mounting hardware that I plan to install along with the original hardware. I am planning to install large washers between the plate and the bolt heads and drill holes for the new clamps.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also plan to run some closed cell foam between the motor and glide plate to keep some of the mud from collecting. (less weight on the mounting hardware)

·
Registered
858 Posts
It's too bad they don't make them a little bit thicker. I know UHMW is very hard to work with but an extra 1/16" would make a big difference in how long they last. I have also seen some glide plates where they are almost breaking through at the front bashplate bend. My HDPE skids are 3/8" and I have actually bent some of the frame mounting tabs without the hardware pulling through. I hit an underwater rock pretty hard and it bent the tab up and back about 1/4" but did not break anything. There is a big scar leading right up to the spot where it caught. HDPE is not anywhere near as tough as UHMW but that extra thickness really pays off.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem with the design is that they recess the bolt heads for the clamps into the plate but they do not add any reinforcement at the recesses. So right where you need the plate to be it's strongest/thickest, it is just the opposite.

Still a great product and I wouldn't go without one, it just needs a little extra help in some spots.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The problem with the design is that they recess the bolt heads for the clamps into the plate but they do not add any reinforcement at the recesses. So right where you need the plate to be it's strongest/thickest, it is just the opposite.
Exactly. Then if you install the fender washers on the bottom as they suggest, it pretty much takes the glide part away.

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
I have also seen some glide plates where they are almost breaking through at the front bashplate bend.
My Yamaha Glide plate has a crack at that bend where it is about 2/3 of the way split. RansomP had his completely crack at that bend IIRC.

I wish the Yamaha Glide Plate had a 1/8th inch layer of aluminum along with the UHMW. Would be the best of both worlds, strength and glide.

I thought someone like Iron Baltic made a skid like that.

Anyway, I am going to find a piece of flat aluminum stock and make a piece that covers the front bash area and see if I can combo bolt it on under the Glide Plate.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Exactly. Then if you install the fender washers on the bottom as they suggest, it pretty much takes the glide part away.
I was thinking of going with something like what is below. I could even recess them in...

The Hillman Group 3/8-in-16 Zinc-Plated Flat-Head Standard (SAE) Elevator Bolt

Reactions: it400

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I was thinking of going with something like what is below. I could even recess them in...

The Hillman Group 3/8-in-16 Zinc-Plated Flat-Head Standard (SAE) Elevator Bolt
Good thinking.I like that idea.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
on my homemade setup i use large fender washers with those cone shaped allen bolts. its not as super smooth as the recessed heads, but i doubt 1/16 of a bump is going to make or break very much. still a huge improvement over anything else available... aluminum, oem etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts