Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on getting a new xtr. We ride only gravel roads and pavement. In my experience the large lugged tires usually make you feel like you are riding on marbles when on gravel and throw rocks like crazy so the zilla's will have to go. We ride 0 mud and 0 off road. A little snow in the winter but that's it. Out of 100 mile ride 10-15 of it would be pavement so I'm looking for a very none aggresive tire that wears well. Any suggestions? Is there any market to sell new take-off Zilla's?

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Well if you want longevity, try to reduce the use on asphalt as much as possible. Even ride the dirt shoulder of the road if you can.
Invest in a good radial tire, it will last you longer than any bias ply tire, it will also ride smoother and more puncture resistant. I would suggest the less agressive end of the all terrain tires. A maxxis bighorn style tread even, that wouldn't be too rough on hard surface.
Maxxis carnivore
Kenda bear claw htr
Traction alpha
Itp terra hook
CST dingo
Kenda klever xt
Sti Enduro xt/s

All of those will fit example will run fairly smooth on hard surface, decent wear and traction. I carried the traction ammout a bit there, I just focused more on tread pattern that will run pretty smooth on hard surface. Even big mud lugs can run smooth provided there is always a large portion of the lug in contact with the ground to prevent that vibration hop between lug contact.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
133 Posts
I'm working on getting a new xtr. We ride only gravel roads and pavement. In my experience the large lugged tires usually make you feel like you are riding on marbles when on gravel and throw rocks like crazy so the zilla's will have to go. We ride 0 mud and 0 off road. A little snow in the winter but that's it. Out of 100 mile ride 10-15 of it would be pavement so I'm looking for a very none aggresive tire that wears well. Any suggestions? Is there any market to sell new take-off Zilla's?
You pretty much ride the same as a group of us do, no mud, no water holes. I had switched to Mudlite ITP's from the worn out Dunlops and it was the worst ride I ever had. Ok on soft sand at slow speed, on hard packed trails over 25 mph, the ATV was almost uncontrollable from the shaking. Tried to balance them with a beads, a lot of beads. Even over 30-35 mpg it was like riding a paint shaker plugged into 220V. I sold them after a month and changed for Carlisle AT489's after talking with a bunch of others. Difference of night and day, absolutely no requirement to balance them and very good steering and braking response. I would buy them again without hesitation.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
You pretty much ride the same as a group of us do, no mud, no water holes. I had switched to Mudlite ITP's from the worn out Dunlops and it was the worst ride I ever had. Ok on soft sand at slow speed, on hard packed trails over 25 mph, the ATV was almost uncontrollable from the shaking. Tried to balance them with a beads, a lot of beads. Even over 30-35 mpg it was like riding a paint shaker plugged into 220V. I sold them after a month and changed for Carlisle AT489's after talking with a bunch of others. Difference of night and day, absolutely no requirement to balance them and very good steering and braking response. I would buy them again without hesitation.
Lol no doubt the plug lites rattled your teeth out. They are a horrible built tire. Even looking at the beads on them they don't have uniform rubber thickness.
Ballance beads probably wouldn't help with plug lites anyways, but you said"lots of beads" and that's a problem. You use less beads if it continues to shake not more. I used to preach this to the mud boggers and transport drivers all the time at my tire shop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 3 Raptors, which I love, for when the weather is warmer and dry. When it starts to get wet and cold is when I get out the Yxz. I'm very anal about keeping the Raptors pristine but love to ride quads SO much more than SxS's. So that is the reason for getting a Grizzly, I want to extend my quad riding season. Figure I'll try and just hit it with the pressure washer when I get back and call it good. I ride almost every weekend all year long, maybe miss 6-8 weekends a year, and know the 686 is as good as they come. Because I ride so much I end up riding alone a lot so dependability is at the very top of my list. Going to try and find some tires that have a tread pattern something close to what sport atv's run. I like to ride at a pretty quick pace so hope the Grizzly likes to drift a lot :) Have ridden dirt bikes, 3 wheelers and quads all my life but this will be my first 4x4 quad.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
I have 3 Raptors, which I love, for when the weather is warmer and dry. When it starts to get wet and cold is when I get out the Yxz. I'm very anal about keeping the Raptors pristine but love to ride quads SO much more than SxS's. So that is the reason for getting a Grizzly, I want to extend my quad riding season. Figure I'll try and just hit it with the pressure washer when I get back and call it good. I ride almost every weekend all year long, maybe miss 6-8 weekends a year, and know the 686 is as good as they come. Because I ride so much I end up riding alone a lot so dependability is at the very top of my list. Going to try and find some tires that have a tread pattern something close to what sport atv's run. I like to ride at a pretty quick pace so hope the Grizzly likes to drift a lot :) Have ridden dirt bikes, 3 wheelers and quads all my life but this will be my first 4x4 quad.

View attachment 102952
Oh you'll have no problem drifting. Even with my grippy reptiles, I can break the rear end of my Kodiak loose on hard pack no prob and drift around turns easily if I want to. You're in 2wd and that rear sway bar will keep you planted level as you drift.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went to the dealer yesterday set to buy it. VERY nice looking quad, just couldn't bring myself to buy it in black. Really wanted it but learned years ago black is not a color to buy. They said they should have a standard coming in the next month so I'm gonna wait and see it. Have been looking at the used market but here they are asking almost what I can buy a new one for. Still have about 3 months before I'll need it.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Surprised you were able to walk into a dealer and shop a XT-R. I had to order mine back in March and picked up on Sunday. Local dealer has only had two including mine the entire model year. I'm used to having a black one ('04.5 SP 700 EFI) although to be fair it is more of a dark grey on the front half.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I found a 22 SE with 11 miles on it all stock. Guy bought it and just never used it. The dealer wants 12,500 for one new and I can get this one for $10k cash. Also found a 21 SE with 277 miles I can get for 10k. It has heated grips, windshield and rear rack extension. I REALLY love the color of the 21 and the heated grips are something I'd add but it's hard to say no to a basically brand new current year that is basically new. Trying to decide which way to go.

As far as finding a Xtr in stock I checked all over Oregon and this dealer and one other were the only 2 I could find. The other dealer wanted almost $14k for theirs so it wasn't even an option.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
They are notorious for throwing rocks. But just a heads up for the first little bit with almost any new tire they will throw rocks until those little edges get worn down. it's amazing how well That sharp little rubber edge on your lugs will grab and throw rocks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True but these the rocks get stuck in the center of the triangles and then get flung out. The centers are full of rocks all the way around when I stop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts