Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Here is the video of the procedure to change the disk brake protectors so you can install the 12” rims on XTR/SE. I bought the oem rims and installed Maxxis Bighorn O.G. tires. My preferred size 26” staggered setup. That is just how I like it for my use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you dislike about the square setup?
More than the square setup I hated the limited selection of tires available for 14 “ rims. I also like more rubber than wheel. Anything other than Zillas I felt the steering become heavy. Of course I did not go out and try a whole bunch of tires. I like my current setup

·
Registered
28 Posts
You went back to a 12” rear tire, and 9” front? I totally recognize the issue with tire choices, and for me - the jury is out on these Zilla tires. Also not sure I want 4 rear tires. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You went back to a 12” rear tire, and 9” front? I totally recognize the issue with tire choices, and for me - the jury is out on these Zilla tires. Also not sure I want 4 rear tires. Thanks for sharing!
Yes correct bought the oem 12” rims oem disk brake protectors and Maxxis Bighorn OG tires. It took literally 6 months for the wheels to arrive after ordering.

·
Premium Member
8,795 Posts
@TexasMonarchFarm
The "brake protectors" are important. The protectors keep the perfect size/shaped rock from getting lodge between the rim and the caliper knocking a nice size hole in aluminum rims. Polaris and Canam don't have them. I've seen few of these on the trails with golf ball size holes in the rims and destroyed calipers.
It also seems the 14" rims contributes to this issue

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@TexasMonarchFarm
The "brake protectors" are important. The protectors keep the perfect size/shaped rock from getting lodge between the rim and the caliper knocking a nice size hole in aluminum rims. Polaris and Canam don't have them. I've seen few of these on the trails with golf ball size holes in the rims and destroyed calipers.
It also seems the 14" rims contributes to this issue
Yes agree that is why I did not want to just remove the protectors. I went thru the trouble of ordering right size protectors and installing them.
BTW the ATV seems fast really fast compared tor the factory set of 14” tires and wheels. I don’t think that is just my imagination.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
388 Posts
Yes correct bought the oem 12” rims oem disk brake protectors and Maxxis Bighorn OG tires. It took literally 6 months for the wheels to arrive after ordering.
Christ... 6 months is horrendous. how much did you pay for the wheels & where did you purchase them?

I bought a pair of oem front wheels for my machine a couple months ago, 100$ a wheel. There didn't seem to be any shortage of them on ebay where I bought mine.. arrived 3 days later.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Christ... 6 months is horrendous. how much did you pay for the wheels & where did you purchase them?

I bought a pair of oem front wheels for my machine a couple months ago, 100$ a wheel. There didn't seem to be any shortage of them on ebay where I bought mine.. arrived 3 days later.
Partzilla it seems they get it directly from Yamaha. May be it was a shortage at the time. Mine have been sitting in my garage for at least 2 months mounted and ready to go. Waiting on me to finish the job of changing the protectors out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts