Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting one for the long trails, Any recomdations on brand or models, wanting one that can be mounted to the handle bars.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Garmin is the way to go. There's some threads her on gps units. Just do a quick search. The Montana is what I was looking at a while back. Check that one out.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I upgraded to a Garmin Montana with a RAM Mount and love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've been looking at the Montana for a long time. Just been too cheap to pull the trigger lol. It looks well worth the money though. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I've been looking at the Montana for a long time. Just been too cheap to pull the trigger lol. It looks well worth the money though. ;)
Yeah, it took me a couple years to finally get it and I really think it's worth it. I enjoy using a GPS much more now. :icon_ goofy:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Montana Series is great, deals can be found on them a few times a year if you can wait (Black Friday). The GPSMAP 64S series is a really solid unit also, but a bit smaller screen but a bit easier on the wallet.

I like the RAM mounts they work and last.

Maps are what make the package though, get a good map for the areas that you plan to ride. Whether free or paid they make the difference.

Of course you need to know how to use it all, I enjoy making tracks of my trips and reviewing them back on my computer at home, but if needed I can also use it to get out of a jam.

Enjoy whatever you get.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It looks like a garmin AMPS rugged mount. I have a Montana with the same mount. It works well. I would highly recommend the garmin Montana. Good luck with whatever you buy.

Reactions: Grumpy

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
That power / charging cradle okay to use in wet or rainy conditions?

It's certainly not water proof but I haven't had any issues in the rain and I don't submerge my Grizzly. :icon_ goofy:

Reactions: okbear

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
I have the same Ram and Amp mount as Grumpy for my Montana 680

No problem at all with rain.

A problem I find with this GPS and I have read about others with the same problem is mud landing on the screen. Mud strikes sometimes do the same as if you finger touches.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been researching GPS units for a while. I ended up with the Garmin 64s. I wanted to keep the unit smallish as I hike a lot also. I hope to get dual use out of it. It seems to be a great unit. It had a good mix of features vs size. I also am using the RAM mount. I have a lot to learn, I have never used a GPS unit before.

I put a screen protector on it and it's in a "GizzMoVest" which I am torn on. The vest offers some decent impact protection but the string holds it closed and it's not a super tight seal. I guess its better than nothing, just wish it was a little tighter design.

I am going to work on getting it mounted in a different spot. Maybe on the body somewhere. I don't care for how high it sits above the bars.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I use the Montana with the Ram mount and love it because I can use it with my riding gloves on and it's weather proof

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I have been researching GPS units for a while. I ended up with the Garmin 64s. I wanted to keep the unit smallish as I hike a lot also. I hope to get dual use out of it. It seems to be a great unit. It had a good mix of features vs size. I also am using the RAM mount. I have a lot to learn, I have never used a GPS unit before.

I put a screen protector on it and it's in a "GizzMoVest" which I am torn on. The vest offers some decent impact protection but the string holds it closed and it's not a super tight seal. I guess its better than nothing, just wish it was a little tighter design.

I am going to work on getting it mounted in a different spot. Maybe on the body somewhere. I don't care for how high it sits above the bars.
That thing is toast if you roll. I put mine on the rear of the front rack on the bar that sticks up a bit where I can see it over my pod. Like this:

Don't know if that would work for you with the headlight, but you might be able to put it on one side of the rack closest to you like this:

It's still exposed in a roll but not nearly as bad. In fact, that unit took a hit when I rolled my '10. I can't remember which way it was mounted then but it survived the crash with minimal scuffing. Had it been mounted up high on the bars, I don't think I'd have been as lucky.

Reactions: BuckeyeGrizzly

·
Registered
760 Posts

That thing is toast if you roll. I put mine on the rear of the front rack on the bar that sticks up a bit where I can see it over my pod. Don't know if that would work for you with the headlight, but you might be able to put it on one side of the rack closest to you. Either way, I'd move it yesterday.
That's the first thing that would have been destroyed when I first rolled my grizz. But who knows, maybe it would have cushioned my fall enough to where I wouldn't have dislocated my collar bone lol.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I crashed my Grizzly in to a bar ditch back when I had a Garmin 62st in the same spot I now have the Montana. I had a Garmin 62 shaped bruise on my chest for a couple weeks! :surprise:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I crashed my Grizzly in to a bar ditch back when I had a Garmin 62st in the same spot I now have the Montana. I had a Garmin 62 shaped bruise on my chest for a couple weeks!
Lol ouch!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Everyones's misfortunes moved the GPS mounting back up the to do list! I found a spot I can still see it and hopefully if I take a spill the handle bars might protect it a bit. Hopefully I can test it out this weekend.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts