Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Figured I’d introduce myself to the GrizzlyCentral community. My names Shane and I live in central Connecticut, but often find myself riding in Mass and throughout Vermont. I own a bone stock 2001 Grizzly 600 with about 1,800 miles and recently just purchased a 2012 Grizzly 700 EPS with only 120 miles on it (pictures attached). Both are grizzly Green! I joined the forum in order to connect with my fellow Grizzly owners and learn more about this great machine.

The first few additions to my grizzlies that I am currently looking into are full skid plates (ricochet vs Aluminum products), a new winch (cheap harbor freight vs warn), as well as the clutch shim modification for more low end torque.

As a very meticulous person, I also like to keep all my toys extremely clean. Any recommendations on cleaning products and methods would also be great!

Thanks a lot, and I look forward to learning from everyone and sharing my journey to the community!

-Shane

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome. I live in Windsor Locks. Where you from? I ride in VT and NH, and always looking for someone to hook up with to ride. As far as cleaning, I use full strength simple green and a power washer.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
If you get stuck in a hole with a cheap winch, and it, the winch, craps out, you can then pay more for a good winch or not play in the hole again.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Welcome to GC from Tn.and congrats on the low mile Grizz find. #1 I love my Ricochet skids and have never used the AP ones , #2 Some things I don't go cheap on like brakes , oil , winch stuff like that , #3 Shim 1.5 with purple spring is really popular for trail riding but deep mud riding needs more clutch work to turn big tires , #4 SC1 is awesome for keeping the plastics looking like new.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC.
-Definitely not a HF winch but there’s great options out there that are less expensive than Warn. MotoAlliance (Viper) is a site sponsor here. I don’t like depending on almost anything HF the way you do when your stuck. Check members’ signatures to see what winch they are running. Think about setting yourself up a sig also.
-Ricochet is great but pricey. I’ve heard good things about Aluminum Products.
-Do the shim when you do tires. Really no need for it right now.
-Do tires asap.
-Get and carry a plug kit and some method to put air in a tire. Especially while running stock tires but this is always a good idea.
-Straight Simple Geeen for cleaning. However, I only use it to detail prior to selling. The rest of the time it’s a pressure washer and some dry time. I don’t have the time or desire to get it showroom clean every time I get it dirty.
-The most important mod to that machine is you! Now go have some fun on that awesome Griz!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome. I live in Windsor Locks. Where you from? I ride in VT and NH, and always looking for someone to hook up with to ride. As far as cleaning, I use full strength simple green and a power washer.
I actually work out in Windsor. I live in a small town, Columbia. Yeah simple green has always been my go-to. I heard good things about SC1 cleaner, I think it might be more of an after polish tho.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to GC from Tn.and congrats on the low mile Grizz find. #1 I love my Ricochet skids and have never used the AP ones , #2 Some things I don't go cheap on like brakes , oil , winch stuff like that , #3 Shim 1.5 with purple spring is really popular for trail riding but deep mud riding needs more clutch work to turn big tires , #4 SC1 is awesome for keeping the plastics looking like new.
Great input, thanks! Will a 1.5mm shim and purple spring be okay on stock wheels and tires for the grizzly 700? What about for the grizzly 600? Also how much will this effect top speed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to GC.
-Definitely not a HF winch but there’s great options out there that are less expensive than Warn. MotoAlliance (Viper) is a site sponsor here. I don’t like depending on almost anything HF the way you do when your stuck. Check members’ signatures to see what winch they are running. Think about setting yourself up a sig also.
-Ricochet is great but pricey. I’ve heard good things about Aluminum Products.
-Do the shim when you do tires. Really no need for it right now.
-Do tires asap.
-Get and carry a plug kit and some method to put air in a tire. Especially while running stock tires but this is always a good idea.
-Straight Simple Geeen for cleaning. However, I only use it to detail prior to selling. The rest of the time it’s a pressure washer and some dry time. I don’t have the time or desire to get it showroom clean every time I get it dirty.
-The most important mod to that machine is you! Now go have some fun on that awesome Griz!
Thanks OKbear, I’ll definitely look into those Viper winches. Any deals on products that are from site sponsors?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
@CTGrizzly2012, welcome to GC from you're neighbor up north in Maine. Congrats on the Grizz's. The answers to all of the questions you posted are here in various threads, just do a search. Come on up to Maine sometime to ride, we have over 6000 miles of ATV trail!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts