Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike was running great. Flipped it in a water hole (for maybe the 15th time). Drained it, cranked it and it ran fine. Later in the evening I shut her off. Cranked her up about 10 minutes later...Pouring smoke...So, rings are shot. Keep in mind, it still cranks at the bump of the starter, but pours smoke.
Time for the tear down. As part of pulling the head, you have to set the engine at TDC. I pull the cap off the magneto cover as well as the cover to the camshaft sprocket. I align the "I" mark on the rotor with the pointer on the magneto cover (as the manual says). I also verified that the piston was at TDC on the compression stroke by placing a screwdriver in the spark plug hole while my buddy rotated the crankshaft.
Now the odd part - The odd part is that the TDC mark on the camshaft sprocket didn't line up with the indicator on the head. It looks to be about a tooth off (see picture). My questions are as follows:
1.) When the rotor shows TDC, should the camshaft sprocket be dead on with it?
2.) If the camshaft sprocket was off by a tooth, whouldnt my bike run badly? (it runs flawlessly as is...minus the smoke)
3.) When I reassemble the top end, should I align the marks on the camshaft sprocket, or try to reproduce where it is now?
4.) Do I need a new chain/tensioniors
?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did you turn the engine counterclockwise when trying to line everything up?
If not, you are unloading the tensioner. If so, the chain jumped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turned counter clockwise. Chain seemed pretty tight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts