Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
New to the site and apologize if I'm not posting this on correct page. I just bought a used 07' 700 and everything test drove just fine. Took it to the mtns for hunting and battery died on me. Went into town and bought a new one thinking that the original battery needed replacement. Put a new one in and ran it all day but when I turned unit off and came back to ride 5 mins later it would not start. Just clicked while trying to turn over with electric start. Got a jump from someone and started up, but check engine light and EPS stayed on. Road for another 10 mins and shut off, same issue occurred. Seems like it is not charging battery back up when in use? Is this an alternator issue or something else? And is the EPS drawing that much power out of battery to make a brand new battery go down so quickly?

Any feedback is much appreciated as I am new to ATV's.

Thanks

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
Chances are with a '07 & '08 is you have a burned out Stator. It happened to me and I replaced my stator and changed the cover to an updated version which adds an oil cooling line seen on the 2009 and up Grizzly 700.

See this thread here: Stator Replacement post#13

However, before going and buying parts, test your stator with a quality multimeter for resistance on the three combinations of white wires. IIRC, that thread has the test procedures as well.

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
From the 07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 Service Manual, page 9-29

The connector referenced in the above diagram is found on the right side at about the 2 o'clock position from the right rear tire. With the grizzly not running, unplug this connector and then do the test.

You can also check the voltage at the battery when running. With the Grizzly in N, and running, apply a little throttle and DC volts should read 14.1 - 14.4 V. At that level, the battery is going to charge. If you are reading somewhere at 12V, you are not getting enough charge from your stator to charge the battery while it is being used.

·
Registered
678 Posts
AMoperator, be sure to read all 5 pages of the thread the RedRocket referenced for you. Pages 3 & 4 have some very good information and pictures that will help, if your doing it your self.

In one of my post, in the Stator Replacement thread, I refer to another thread that list all of the updated part numbers and their prices that you will need in replacing the stator and to do the upgraded stator oil cooling line.

Reactions: monksblood
1 - 5 of 5 Posts