Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas new to thread here. My 12 griz 700 when in gear will not move and hits rev limiter very easy. jacked up rear end and took clutch cover off. when in neutral clutch works and revs fine. put it in any gear it hits rev limiter and clutch doesn't seem to move right. I checked reverse switch, all electrical connections and tore primary apart and cleaned and greased. belt looks brand new. I keep hearing about a wet clutch? any info on this? I don't know what to do

EPI clutch kit
28" tires

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Hey..E_Nutt..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

Jacked up in gear revved up do the rear wheels turn or not?
Can you see the rear drive shaft turning while revving?

·
Premium Member
9,254 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Does a small amount of rear brake pressure prevent the wheels from turning?
Tall tires and the E.P.I. clutch kit have been know to ruin the wet clutch.
What was in your kit? and did you install all the parts?
A video helps us see and hear what's going on. Run up your post count and link back to the thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jacked up wheels will turn slowly, but bike revs out quick. A little brake pressure really makes it rev out quick. I didn't install clutch kit, was on there when I bought it. quad only has 650 mile 100 hours. Yes checked shift linkage. Shifts and engages

·
Super Moderator
1,734 Posts
Maybe recheck your work and make sure everything went back correctly....

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Have you grounded out the reverse rev-limiter? I'm not sure about the later models anymore but on my 07 the reverse rev-limiter would cause what you are describing and I had to just ground it out. At first I had it setup for a rocker switch so I could turn it off or on but eventually just hard wired it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this all started middle of a ride suddenly. I did ground out reverse rev, familiar with that one being my buddies griz did that

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I suspect your wet clutch is slipping. But I could be wrong. It's worth a look to know for sure. You will need a gasket (or gasket maker in a tube) and engine oil.

Drain engine oil. Remove primary clutch (including the inner sheave). Then remove engine cover behind the primary (I think it has 12 bolts). Wet clutch is located inside that cover as well as the wet clutch drum.
Engine oil will leak out so have rags ready.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm about positive it's the wet clutch slipping. I tore it down last night, drum looks good but pads look wore out. Having a heck of a time getting nut off wet clutch. Heating it and using impact but won't move much. Any tips for getting it off?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Į think wet clutch bolt is left handed you have to spin to other side than normal. I Can be wrong but i heard about it

·
Registered
782 Posts
CORRECT LEFT HAND THREAD. MAKE SURE YOU KNOCK LOCKING TAB BACK TO UNLOCK NUT. A GOOD IMPACT SHOULD GET IT OFF NP.

·
Premium Member
9,254 Posts
While its down, add some shim.
Did you remove the secondary to determine which secondary spring is installed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts