Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Title says the problem, have got oil leaking out from behind the recoil starter pulley. The quad runs fine for a few minutes then oil starts to seep fairly quickly and it sputters to a stop.

I've never had the crank case apart so not exactly sure what is going on here, is the stator housing behind the recoil pulley supposed to be swimming in oil, or dry?

Just trying to figure out how many seals/bearings are bad/where oil is/where it shouldn't be!

I'm sure all will be revealed on the rebuild but, what would cause it to sputter?

Thanks!
Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
That's an easy seal to replace.

Remove the bolt in the center (17mm if I remember correctly). Pull the gear straight out. It's just splines onto a shaft.
There is a metal seal retainer that will need to be removed. It is attached using 2 small bolts. You'll see them as soon as you pull the gear. If I remember correctly, they use a Torx bit (possibly Allen key). I can't remember for sure.
Once the retainer is removed, pry out the old seal.
Press or tap in the new seal, reassemble everything.

Go riding.

FYI, seal part # is: 93102-28476-00

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is supposed to be oil in the stator housing behind that?

I wonder what's causing the sputtering then. I noticed this oil leaking out on the foot rest area, I thought it was fuel and diagnosed it as a bad needle & seat or sticking float so tore the carb open and cleaned everything up. O-ring around seat was a little tired so I replaced that, needle seat holds pressure from my mouth under the weight of the float upsidedown.
It started fine and idled perfectly for 5-10 minutes I was cleaning up and noticed it started slowly bogging and eventually stalls and is almost unstartable.

What else would cause it to start sputtering once it gets hot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nevermind I figured the sputtering out. Ignition lead had fallen to bits the brass plug and resistor were loose inside the cap. I fixed that up and went screaming up the driveway thinking it was good to go and it spat the plug out onto the skid plate haha. I haven't been near there with a plug socket so it's obviously been loose for a while.

Threads seemed fine and it torqued up nicely so I guess it just worked its way out. All running good now, I'll get that seal replaced, glad it's only a minor.

I'd still be interested to know what the oil is doing in that stator housing, is it flooded like the crankcase or pumped and scavanged or what? I don't think i've ever seen an engine where the flywheel and stator coil are under oil...?

Thanks for the help!
Josh

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
All ATV engines that I know of have the stator bathing in oil. Is just part of the crankcase oil.
Engine oil is what keeps the stator cool. Many (not all) have a oil injector spraying oil directly on the stator to cool it down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never really worked on ATV engines, so good to know! Thanks for all the help again.

Josh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts