Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , my first time to post here.
I fix atvs part time on my farm and the local auto electric’s guy asked me to look at a grizzly 450 for him. The owner said it’s not starting and making a noise sometimes. He has changed the starter and checked solenoid , battery ( that’s his area). He tells me fault remains. A friend of mine who’s retired tells me it’s the one way bearing. Now the bike has started for me every time so I can’t see the fault for myself. As changing the one way bear isn’t a cheap fix I’m asking is there any why to determine if this bearing is worn and causing the problem.
Thanks for looking any ideas would be appreciated.

· Registered
5,711 Posts
The starter sprag clutch will usually give a very loud squeal type noise when it fails. It may also not turn over the engine (which it will eventually do anyway, if not right away).

Reactions: diverscale

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dezz.
The new bearing coming tomorrow I hope. Now I haven’t done any work on the bike yet, but was speaking to the auto electric guy again and he said on start sometimes it’s like the battery just can’t turn the engine, one could think there was a dead battery ( battery not dead). Then after a few tries it seems it gets over the hard spot and starts. Bike is running perfect then until startup fault returns.
just hoping I’m in the right area with the one way bearing. What’s the thoughts out there?

· Premium Member
13,001 Posts
For your last question I'll guess its not the bearing.

· Premium Member
13,001 Posts
Ok. Is there any way of knowing when I remove the bearing if it’s causing problems? What do you think might be wrong ?
As you said in your first post 'Its starting every time' then it can't be the one-way.
They may have tightened a weak connection not knowing they fixed the electrical problem.
There have been many new members show up saying their ride won't start, to have someone here tell them to clean and tighten all battery connections which solves the problem.
If that doesn't work then we suggest load testing the battery as there maybe good voltage but weak amps for a no start.
A sprague clutch (one-way bearing) is not intermittent and as mentioned above generally makes noise which you haven't mentioned.
If its working now I suggest leaving it alone.

• Helpful
Reactions: Grizzerino

· Registered
374 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the starter magnets have come apart. There's been some reports on the forum of this.
Apparently there is a lot of defective starters on these machines and others.
starting problem

· Premium Member
13,001 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the starter magnets have come apart. There's been some reports on the forum of this.
Apparently there is a lot of defective starters on these machines and others.
starting problem
Also, de-lammed magnets cause debris to cause a no-start. Then 'sometimes' if you tap on starter or jar it the debris can come lose so the start works temporarily. I had that happen on a truck starter recently out in the field. I tapped the starter motor and she fired to get back to town for a new starter.

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Thanks dezz.
The new bearing coming tomorrow I hope. Now I haven’t done any work on the bike yet, but was speaking to the auto electric guy again and he said on start sometimes it’s like the battery just can’t turn the engine, one could think there was a dead battery ( battery not dead). Then after a few tries it seems it gets over the hard spot and starts. Bike is running perfect then until startup fault returns.
just hoping I’m in the right area with the one way bearing. What’s the thoughts out there?
@Mully ... In your first posted you said that the owner changed the starter. There has been more than one person that did not connect the negative battery cable to the starter mounting bolt. The machine can still get a ground through a very some wire. I will turn over slowly and may still start sometimes. Check that the cable is connected.

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
An adjustable 3 bolt about 6" (16cm) in diameter will work.
Ebay has the dedicated Yamaha pull for $20.00

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I replaced the one way bearing yesterday and I’ve tested it over &over and it’s good. The job of replacing the bearing is easy enough the worst part was getting the old gasket off.
The bike is going back to its owner today and if I hear anything more from it I will post a update. As of now let’s say problems solved.
Thanks for help

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m back. Tested the bike again and I didn’t like how it was starting. It finds it very hard to turn the engine the first turn. It’s as if there is too much resistance in the engine. It always starts but it’s just like a poor battery just about able to turn the engine.
Its not the battery, it’s not the starter, it’s not the solenoid and the one way bearing has been changed. ??????:unsure:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. I think it’s solved. I think and first problem the owner had first was bike not starting , engine appeared to lock up and make a noise. I think the one way bearing fixed this but I wasn’t happy with how it started as I said it found it hard to turn the engine first turn. Now I was the 3rd guy to look at bike and I think all the testing and maybe a faulty bearing damaged the new starter. I replaced the starter also and it’s now fine. :) Thanks for input all.
On another note I removed the bottom steering bearing on a grizzly 350 talk about a pig of a job . I heated up the housing and used a air hammer from underneath and got it that way.

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
On another note I removed the bottom steering bearing on a grizzly 350 talk about a pig of a job . I heated up the housing and used a air hammer from underneath and got it that way.
Glad you got it worked out.

I tried to replace that bearing on my 2013 Griz. Tried Inventing many new swear words still couldn't remove the bearing. Eventually I had to get the mounting plate with new spanner nut, bearing and seals.
That assembly use to have a nice cast iron mounting plate. I've heard that the bearing was easy to replace back then.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m back again, this 450 is turning me grey. Ok after starting issues were sorted it sheared the woodruff key. I know these bikes can do that from time to time . So does anyone think it’s just a bad coincidence that it happened just after the other work or is there something amiss?
Any more trouble with this and I’m going to get a priest to have a go.

· Premium Member
13,001 Posts
I hope you're cow are OK, and not like the sick 450.
The key breaks for a reason, I would check the valve lash.

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Here is a post by @dezz that details how to do a preliminary check for the woodruff being sheared without tearing down the engine.
Woodruff shear check

I see plenty of posts related to the smaller engine shearing the woodruff. Never noticed before.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone, when you say valve lash I guess you mean valve free play? Do you mean too much lash will cause the woodruff to shear? Is this the main reason for this fault?
I’m not that up to speed with checking 450 valves , where could I get a procedure for this?
I find this forum great 👍

1 - 20 of 22 Posts