Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2000 Grizzly with no spark. Did troubleshooting, Last step - replace CDI. My CDI has part # 5GT-02 F8T36071. I friend has an 98 - 600 with the CDI part # 4WV-00 F8T34671. Are they interchangeable? Don't want to burn his up (may need him again). Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but know my CDI is good. Worked fine on another 600, but still haven't figured out what problem is. Yamaha dealer swears it is the aftermarket pickup/stator that I replaced, even though it checks out ohmage wise.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did you try replacing the rectifier/voltage regulator? My 660 voltage reg took a dump and I got no spark. And it was only about a year and a half old since it had been replaced.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Thanks, but know my CDI is good. Worked fine on another 600, but still haven't figured out what problem is. Yamaha dealer swears it is the aftermarket pickup/stator that I replaced, even though it checks out ohmage wise.
Has it run after you replaced the stator/pickup coil? If not, try swapping the wires of the pickup coil at the connector. If the wires are incorrect, they will still ohm out but you will not get spark.
I have seen some stator wiring harnesses with the pickup coil wires incorrect.

What resistance reading are you getting on the pickup coil?

Reactions: Bubblehead

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you just replace the stator/pickup coil? If not how long had it Been running ok with it?
Replaced with an aftermarket stator/pickup coil, but didn't help. Dealer said the aftermarket are trash, want you to buy the expensive Yamaha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has it run after you replaced the stator/pickup coil? If not, try swapping the wires of the pickup coil at the connector. If the wires are incorrect, they will still ohm out but you will not get spark.
I have seen some stator wiring harnesses with the pickup coil wires incorrect.

What resistance reading are you getting on the pickup coil?
Thanks : getting around 350 Ohms. Guess I can try changing wires, but connected red - red and white - white.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Thanks : getting around 350 Ohms. Guess I can try changing wires, but connected red - red and white - white.
There's your problem. You've already found it.
The proper pickup coil resistance is 459 - 561 ohms. Below or above those readings and you will not get spark.

Reactions: okbear

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
See the attached photo. Straight from the troubleshooting section of the factory service manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,139 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I would send the O.P.'er a private message, maybe he still has his e-mail notifications on. I bet he is not looking here anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts