Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just discovered that I am missing the oil pump pick up tube on my Grizzly 600. It has been missing since before I owned it and I had no idea it was supposed to be in there until I was helping my friend change oil on his 600 and saw it come out with the drain plug and screen when he dropped his oil.

Unfortunately it is discontinued through Yamaha. Does anyone know where I could purchase one or have one they would be willing to part with? I have no idea how long it's been missing but judging by the lack of wear inside my engine when I tore it down, it doesn't seem to be that crucial but I would imagine if the oil level in the crankcase got too low it would definitely cause an issue and I don't want to risk that.

I'm having trouble getting a pic of the parts diagram but it's number 8 in the oil pump diagram on the Yamaha parts catalog.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Those oil pump pick up tubes are not supposed to drop out with oil plug screen. If it does just drop out, then that is a problem that needs rectified.
The only thing that should come out when you remove the drain plug is a spring and metal screen.

Have you actually looked up inside your engine and seen the this pickup tube missing? Yours might just still be there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely missing. On my friends 600 it's just held up in place with the spring pressure. Looking on ebay I only found 1 oil pump that had it in place still so they must just slide in and out of the pump housing. I think most of the time they are just held up by the oil viscosity creating a suction cup effect. My friend had changed oil on his engine many times and that was the first time it's came out with the spring/screen assy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I droped the oil on my son's 98 Big Bear 350 for the first time since I purchased it this spring and it's missing the pickup tube as well! Does anybody put these things back in? lol.

Fortunately it's still available from Yamaha but I'm not having any luck finding one for the 600

1 - 4 of 4 Posts