Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 98 Yamaha grizzly 600 and I have a 2006 Yamaha rhino 660. I want to go greaseless on my 600 grizz. If I take the complete primary clutch sheeve from the 660 will I work with my 600 grizz. They make a greaseless sheeve for the 660 which is what prompts me to ask this question. They seem to be exact same sizes but I don't know the difference in the inside angles. I just don't want my belt to rub my cover other than that I am up for modifying most of it. I know it may be impossible. Just tired of grease

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
The clutch will physically fit, so why not just install it and see what happens. You'll know the results first hand then.

But you can install greaseless weights in your 600 clutch. Just order the greaseless weights you want (16g, 18g, 20g, etc...) and the greaseless sliders , and put them in your bike.....boom. greaseless clutch setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch will physically fit, so why not just install it and see what happens. You'll know the results first hand then.

But you can install greaseless weights in your 600 clutch. Just order the greaseless weights you want (16g, 18g, 20g, etc...) and the greaseless sliders , and put them in your bike.....boom. greaseless clutch setup.
well, the weights by them selves are like $120 I was gonna buy a complete kit includes the weights the sheave all greaseless for 300 and last time I looked I was in need of a sheave with some of the grooves I have.

but, my plan was to put it in and try it, just thought hey maybe someone else has thought this before and done it. then I'm not spending a lot of time trying things. just being lazy. haha

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
That's not being lazy....that's just being smart.

I do know in the past (10 years ago or so), guys were using certain Grizzly 600 clutch parts on their 660's. I just do not know what parts. It was something the mud riders were doing. Maybe a Google search will find something on the Highlifter forums about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually once a year. Unless I get water in the belt. I use Yamaha ultramatic grease. That's what my dealer said it called for. It pretty pricey stuff

Reactions: waltinbatonrouge

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just for the record. I did try the 660 primary it works. But you need a 660 belt to go with it. Running the 600 belt may cause it to hit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for the record. I did try the 660 primary it works. But you need a 660 belt to go with it. Running the 600 belt may cause it to hit.
how'd it work out? Any issues later?...i'm thinking of trying the same set-up
The only problem I ran into was the 660 belt is relatively short. So if you want top speeds of 50 to 55 it works great. I changed it to a 700 belt. And now I only have a top speed of 40 mph. But it works great bogging because you want the low gearing. No issues though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.