Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Grizzly 660 that flooded back in 2016. Which has already killed the meter (a new one is on the way) Recently I have been losing spark to the point where currently there is none. I noticed that when it was running it would often die in water. Before I had any spark issues I was having an overcharging issue. It killed the battery, which I was able to warranty. When this problem first started I went ahead and changed the plug and coil. It fired the first try. Then after a while, the bike would randomly die, often in water holes. Knowing that the battery was overcharged, I went ahead and got a new battery and rectifier. The next ride I went on the battery would not hold a charge, and again would die in water holes. When I got back home, I checked the stator. The stator was out of spec, so on Monday, December 16, 2020. I changed the stator with a Caltric one. In the time between the old and new stator, the bike would not run. It would idle, but if you ever thought of touching the throttle it would die. I have verified with a voltmeter that none of the wires are grounding out (from stator to CDI). Is it possible that the CDI is shot? Is there a way to test it?

P.S. the quad is snorkled.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
I would get a f.s.m. here and do some reading, then test your parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does F.S.M stand for Factory Service Manual? If so I have found one online and have used it to test the components before I installed them. I guess I should double-check them now that it has been a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
11,436 Posts
Yes, also the 660 is know to develop wire chaffing along the upper left frame rail by the gas tank shield.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have changed the CDI, stator, voltage regulator, ignition coil, ignition fuse, main fuse, and spark plug. I have also verified that there is no resistance between the Stator to CDI and the Coil to ground/ CDI wires. Spark is still non-existent. I do still have a meter. What is the possibility it could be the starting relay? When I replaced the main fuse it had enough corrosion that I could not get a continuity reading on it, yet the meter and lights still came on. I will be reverifying that all of the parts are within spec within the next day or so. Is there something simple I could have missed?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Ignition coil was within spec. As for the stator, I was checking the Pick up coil resistance. It says to set the ohm meter to Ω x100 and to expect 459 ~ 561Ω @ 20C (68F). My multimeter has a 200Ω mode. When on 200Ω I get an open circuit, but if I were to change it to 2kΩ I get a reading of 495Ω. Is this correct or is it 10 times what it should be?

NOTE: it was 56F when I checked it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found my issue... I did not pay enough attention when I removed the OEM one. Because of that, I installed the pulsar generator backward. I had it with the magnet down facing away from the flywheel. A quick flip and an even quicker test and it sparked.

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
I found my issue... I did not pay enough attention when I removed the OEM one. Because of that, I installed the pulsar generator backward. I had it with the magnet down facing away from the flywheel. A quick flip and an even quicker test and it sparked.
Not the first time that has been done. Won't be the last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts