Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told several years ago when I wanted to buy a atv to stay away from the 660 engine because of heating problems. I bought a Grizzly 550 at that time. I am looking for a used Yamaha atv for my wife now and see several used with the 660 engine. Is there some years to stay away from because of the heating problem ? I would hope that Yamaha has fixed the problem on the later models but still wonder why they seem to ask less for ones with that engine. Thanks .

·
Registered
124 Posts
2002 and 2003 had solid side panels, 2004 660 and newer Yamaha put the shark gill vented side panels on to help cool the engine. You can put the 04 and up side panels on the 02 and 03.
I have a 2004 660 and have never overheated or had the over temp light come on.

Reactions: Skyraider

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Never had a heat issue i have a 07 660

·
Registered
145 Posts
Neither did I have any issues with my 2002

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was told several years ago when I wanted to buy a atv to stay away from the 660 engine because of heating problems.
I've heard that there was a problem with boiling gas in the 02 660's but was fixed by Yamaha with heat insulation on the underside of the gas tank.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've heard that there was a problem with boiling gas in the 02 660's but was fixed by Yamaha with heat insulation on the underside of the gas tank.
This is it.. +1
problem was boiling gas.
Newer models had foam/plastic heat shielding under the tank.
you can actually do it yourself on the 02 models as well and it works the same way.

I've never had any issues with this problem and i drove my 07 in 40*C weather if it was going to boil it should have those days.

·
Registered
797 Posts
KEEP THE RAD CLEAN NEVER AN ISSUE. NOW GETTING FULL ACCESS TO CLEAN RAD THAT IS AN ISSUE. SOMETIMES IT LOOKS CLEAN FOR WHAT YOU CAN SEE BUT SOMETIMES YOU MUST REMOVE TO CLEAN PROPERLY.
THERE WAS A RECALL ON EARLY GRIZZLIES FOR INSULATION UNDER TANKS AND VENTED SIDE PANELS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts