Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just a couple of other thoughts here... Are you sure you have the clip and the washer stack on the needle set in the correct spot? Also, have you confirmed that you have the main nozzle for the needle jet installed the correct way? The sharp lip on the nozzle is supposed to protrude into the intake. Do you have any photos of the carb resassembly?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I dont, I'll tear it apart tonight an grab some pictures, needs to come apart for jetting anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, experimenting since I have received a message of a delayed jet kit from highlifter, I drilled out my pilot jet, I've got 3, 1 a Chinese knock off. 2 genuine makuni, I drilled it out to .0475 an changed my problem from lean to extremely rich. Smallest drill bit I have, an I think I found where the problem is an harbor freight sells a drill bit set .5mm to 3.0mm for 13$ I'm going to take 1 more of my extra pilot jets an start smallest an make incremental adjustments. Hopefully this will get me to where I need to be! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
It looks to me like your nozzle is installed upside down. (See second photo). The other end of that nozzle has a sharper edge and an internal taper. The blunted edge that I see is supposed to be down to meet with the main jet holder. I believe having it installed the way that you do in the photo limits fuel flow on the initial phase of the main jet circuit. I would recommend flipping that nozzle and giving it a try with the stock jetting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Okay, I belive this is the component your speaking of 1st picture is the opposite of how I believe it should go. An 2nd picture shows my attempt to install it this way an it doesn't want to go in. You flip it around 3rd picture an it will slide in with no effort I belive this is the correct way.

As for the pilot jet, .5mm fits in the pilot jet hole, I think I should try .6mm to see if it will get any better? What's your thought?

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
It will go in - you just have to make sure it's lined up perfectly. The sharper edges tend to hang it up a little bit. I have installed that nozzle the wrong way on my very first 660 carb rebuild and it took me a while to figure out what I had done wrong. As you can see, the one end has thin walls and is tapered/sloped internally to make sure the needle drops back down if your slide is worn so the throttle doesn't hang up when you're trying to decelerate. The other end has a little convex dome type shape to it. That part mates up nicely to the jet holder. You need to make sure the nozzle is inserted and seated before you put the main jet holder back in place. You will need a pick to gently guide it into place.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It will go in - you just have to make sure it's lined up perfectly. The sharper edges tend to hang it up a little bit. I have installed that nozzle the wrong way on my very first 660 carb rebuild and it took me a while to figure out what I had done wrong. As you can see, the one end has thin walls and is tapered/sloped internally to make sure the needle drops back down if your slide is worn so the throttle doesn't hang up when you're trying to decelerate. The other end has a little convex dome type shape to it. That part mates up nicely to the jet holder. You need to make sure the nozzle is inserted and seated before you put the main jet holder back in place. You will need a pick to gently guide it into place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, I truly don't know how to thank you but its finally running! I cannot believe that caused all that headache I flipped that part around put pilot jet in an wouldn't ya know it's running 110%.

Thank you MNDirtRider an everyone else!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've been there - what a headache!!! You're welcome and I'm SO happy for you that you're running strong now. If you're completely stock - DON'T CHANGE YOUR JETS! Just fiddle with the fuel screw to dial it in and burn some donuts for me. Congrats on working through it and fighting the good fight.

Just pay it forward when the chance comes up. These guys on Grizzly Central have helped me a lot over the years. This is a great, fun, caring bunch of riders.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dont mind the funky setup, but here's a video too late to get good video. An yes completely stock for the minute after this quarantine is done I hope to get it out an tear it up. An look into snorkel kit, radiator relocation, an exhaust.
Click link for vid
Lil Wheelie Action!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Glad to hear you got this issue fixed, just wondering... why do you feel its important that your Grizzly does wheelies?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I dont, haha. But currently other than doing donuts in my grass in the city that's all the fun I could have at the moment to share. Just expressing my grizzly has more torque now than it ever has... It's never done wheelies without a tremendous amount of effort. That's all.👍

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
I dont, haha. But currently other than doing donuts in my grass in the city that's all the fun I could have at the moment to share. Just expressing my grizzly has more torque now than it ever has... It's never done wheelies without a tremendous amount of effort. That's all.👍
LOL.. Have fun!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Glad you got it figured out and also you posting your fix so others may find this and maybe help them out. I think wheelies are cool too.....but that gas tank mod, hahahaha!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got sick of pulling the tank off everytime to try something different I did, a lot faster! Lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts