Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

Had some time today did some work on my 660.
Waiting for my aftermarket EPS to arrive and in the meantime preparing the quad for EPS assembly.

While disassembling the fuel tank I looked at the shifter, a while back I had some issues with it, especially the light in Parking not working all the time.
I found quite a bit of slack and play in the system
I took a video with my phone I hope I will be able to post it.

Let me know if you have any ideas how to fix this or what might be the problem.

Here is the movie link:

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Video is set to private, so we can't see it.

Reactions: Grizzly_2015

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dezz for letting me know. I'm not much of an expert to post videos online. It's fixed now.
Will be great for you guys to tell me if this type of play is normal and need to be adjusted or something is definitely wrong.
There is no play in the rod ends, most of the play is coming from the inside.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
That is normal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thank you Dezz for letting me know. I'm not much of an expert to post videos online. It's fixed now.
Will be great for you guys to tell me if this type of play is normal and need to be adjusted or something is definitely wrong.
There is no play in the rod ends, most of the play is coming from the inside.
Reviving an old thread, I know. I'm having the same problem. The slack is in the gear shifter, not the rod ends. You mention that you fixed it. Can you explain how?
Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That is normal.
If you're referring to the slack in the gear shifter, that's normal? That slack is preventing shifting to park and I have to play around with it to seat it in neutral. Is there a fix for this or do I have to get another shifter?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Scorpion,
I thought this is an old issue everybody has a fix for.
I'm not sure if you saw the video I posted when I requested feedback on this issue. There was some play in the whole shifter causing not to be repeatable and not being consistent especially at the ends Parling and Low.
Neutral was an issue too.
I ended up taking apart the whole shifter and the problem I found was on the engagement in between the square plastic shaft of the shifter and the mating part. The plastic square piece ended up with round corners and a lot of play.
I added the thin aluminum shim as presented on the discussion you added to this topic and the problem went away.
There was no more playing or free movement of the shifter rods after the shim was in place.
I believe the shim is only a temporary fix, I'm looking for a more reliable solution, but for now it is still working.

Reactions: Scorpyon

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
If you're referring to the slack in the gear shifter, that's normal? That slack is preventing shifting to park and I have to play around with it to seat it in neutral. Is there a fix for this or do I have to get another shifter?
No that is not normal. I misunderstood what the OP was asking and the video itself. I thought he was asking about the movement in the transmission itself. Which in the video, is showing normal operation.
Unfortunately the shifter itself is not normal. It is worn. You should not be able to move the rod like that with the shifter in a gated position.

Reactions: Scorpyon

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Hey Scorpion,
I'm not sure if you saw the video I posted when I requested feedback on this issue. There was some play in the whole shifter causing not to be repeatable and not being consistent especially at the ends Parling and Low.
I ended up taking apart the whole shifter and the problem I found was on the engagement in between the square plastic shaft of the shifter and the mating part. The plastic square piece ended up with round corners and a lot of play.
I added the thin aluminum shim as presented on the discussion you added to this topic and the problem went away.
There was no more playing or free movement of the shifter rods after the shim was in place.
I believe the shim is only a temporary fix, I'm looking for a more reliable solution, but for now it is still working.
Thanks for posting this.
And I apologize for steering you wrong before. I misunderstood the video and your post completely.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Scorpion,
I had this problem (already fixed) and when doing a search, I came upon this thread. After asking my question in this thread, I continued my search and well, you know the rest.

The aluminum can shim works great. Every gear now seats perfectly but, like you say, it does seem temporary though. I'll just change the shim when this one gets too worn.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kind of nice to see some of my issues are normal. Mine is like this too--only really noticeable when shifting to low--sometimes I don't get it to go in the first time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts