Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Grizzly 700 08

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Steampunk1375 
#1 ·
Hey guys I was at work the other day and loaned my bike to a friend he didn’t check the oil and went for a ride he said he only rode 200 meters then it lost a bit of power and made a funny noise so he stoped straight away but and found the oil to be low so topped up but now won’t start and has the EPS light on.

Any ideas what I could be any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

#2 ·
flashing eps light is an issue with the power steering. Its flashing a code most likely. If not its telling you its not working. low oil would not cause any of the issues you stated. If the oil was too low, then you would have had an engine light come on. Not to doubt the friend, but did you confirm the mileage as 200 meters more than you left it? If you look in the service manual there are some steps to test whats wrong, and ways to make the computer tell you what may be wrong. How old is the fuel? Is it the correct oil? Reverse light usually flashes if you have the wrong oil in it. Air cleaner clean? Oil filter plugged? Its fuel injected so if you ran it out of gas, it may have air trapped in the injector. Sludge in injector. Just curious, does it normally use oil? Why was it low. power steering is probably a dirty plug, on that bike its usually the one in the seat area, think it was right side panel. Clean all the plugs , light will probably go out. Sometimes they puke out the oil , then the light flashes too and stops working. you would see the oil though, its like brake fluid looking. You will need to do some investigation and give more clues. I'm stabbing in the dark hear. lol

#3 ·
Tradebit has a good service manual cheap for this bike. Its the one I got , and although I hate manuals on my computer, and prefer the book. Its the full real deal. And if the EPS did puke out the oil, its quoted in the manual as non serviceable. But don't believe that, I know a great way to refill that puppy, and leave a fill port for future losses. Don't blow the million dollars on a new one or the after marked garbage. Refill it. I suspect dirt thow, could be wet , try again when the plugs dry out. Id clean them anyway.

#4 ·
Thank you very much for the ideas I will look into it further, it doesn’t use oil ever, that I have noticed that’s why I am struggling to understand first ,why it had no oil and second that it won’t start it has never skipped a beat since new, I’ll try what you have suggested first and get back to you thanks

#6 ·
How much mileage you got on there. Has it ever had the valves adjusted, maybe that's the noise he heard, and its slopped off a rocker? Guess a compression test is a good place to start. After you check for spark, and fuel, you'll smell and see some in the throttle body if it doesn't start. If those two are good. Do a compression test, maybe a valve stuck open or worse. hopefully not worse. Post results please.

#7 ·
Lol, check your air box for dirt on the throttle body side. those are known to have boxes break and leak. I have extra clamps on mine to hold it down. If theres dirt there, better do that compression test. Ahhhhh. I think that's all I got for now. I'm chain posting. I'm addicted.

#8 ·
Does it crank, but not start? Or not crank?

#9 ·
Pull the throttle body off, then you can look inside and see the intake valves. Take the intake valve cover off too. While looking have sombody turn the engine over by hand and watch the valves, if you can't see them moving you may have stretched the timing chain and bent the valves.

Or check compression, if you don't have a compression gauge you could pull the sparkplug and put your finger over the hole and turn it over, it should try and blow your finger off the hole.

The 07 and 08s didn't have adequate oil flow to the timing chains and they were prone to stretching. The 'funny noise' might have been the intake valves hitting the piston.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.