Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a grizzly 700 2008, one day i got stranded when the engine died on me. . . .
error 33 which is ignition coil failure, replaced coil, tried to start and it burnt a hole in the side of the coil. ....
still says ignition coil error 33 on dash, i dont want to take it to a shop because i can tell it will cost a fortune just figuring out the problem.......
so after asking a friend who works with quads he says it sounds like the cdi, so ive just replaced the cdi today and hurray no error code bike started first time, then i got 2 mile down the road and im back to square 1, bike died error 33 aahhhhhh help please dont know what to try next

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive checked everywhere for a short but cant see one anywhere, im a bit stumped as to why it worked for a while with new cdi then stopped after 10 minutes. . . it will turn over but just no spark

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Trace the primary coil wire back to the CDI look for a bare or burn spots.
Double check that the two wires are connected to the right terminals on the coil.
Also if you get it started check the charging voltage as sometimes the regulator can freak out sending too much voltage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is the voltage regulator do you think it's damaged the new cdi??? Hope not, I'll change around the connectors on the coil, but I can't see any problems with the wires thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
If it is the voltage regulator do you think it's damaged the new cdi??? Hope not, I'll change around the connectors on the coil, but I can't see any problems with the wires thanks
Don't just swap the wires on the coil. go to wiring schematic and confirm proper location.
Excessive resistance at the plug or boot/cap will cause an inductive kick that can cause an internal arc inside the coil. Coils can withstand some misfires, but if there is excessive internal arcing, the coil will be damaged.

According to reogem, The spark plug boot/cap should be approx. 10000 ohms.

I would also replace the spark plug and be sure the coil bracket has a good ground.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
X2 overhill....verify that the individual wires are on the correct terminal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still no joy, checked voltage rectifier and that seems to be fine, really puzzled, why did it work for 10 mins with new cdi ??????

·
Registered
389 Posts
still no joy, checked voltage rectifier and that seems to be fine, really puzzled, why did it work for 10 mins with new cdi ??????
Did you check the areas we asked you to? You most likely took out the replacement CDI from the arcing. You gotta pin point the problem before replacing it again. Also did you check the harness between the coil and the kill switch on the handlebars? The charging system will not cause that problem without affecting other systems as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive just received the service manual, il check everything then get back on here probably with the same problem ha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts