Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. how to raise power at the start in a yamaha grizzly 700. I skipped the spring and roll of the variator but it did not help. thank you

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hey. how to raise power at the start in a yamaha grizzly 700.

" I skipped the spring and roll of the variator but it did not help. thank you"
I have no idea what this last sentence means.

Most do 1.5mm shims in the primary or a machined sheave. Usually 700s respond very well to the Epi purple spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the rollers and the orange spring epi and it did nothing.sory my english is not very good

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the rollers and the orange spring epi and it did nothing.sory my english is not very good

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, if i recall correct the Orange spring from EPI is the same rate as a stock one. You should get a purple spring and add 1.5mm shims on the primary. I’ve done it and many others with great results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very easy to do and lots of info here on Grizzly Central. Look at the stickies. Good luck and let us know how it went

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
You said a washer, make sure it is uniform in size.
Did you buy a kit from E.P.I.? are the new weights heavier of lighter than stock?
Weight of weights will have no change in performance from a standing start. The weights react to rotational force when the primary sheave starts to turn.
For more low end pull raising the pulley ratio works, and most start with the shim mod, and 1.7 mm's has been determined by many members here to be the max without further modification to the system.
Then, the secondary spring rate controls the amount of belt pressure in the pulley sheaves, and the E.P.I. orange spring is the same as the stock 700 spring.
Not sure where you are located so shipping may be a problem, but Arnie Cooper near Salt Lake City does primary machining and is good, here is his site;

contact him for details and he used to sell shims. I use his machining work with great success.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
X2

Coop45 machined sheave give the best off the line torque possible !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You said a washer, make sure it is uniform in size.
Did you buy a kit from E.P.I.? are the new weights heavier of lighter than stock?
Weight of weights will have no change in performance from a standing start. The weights react to rotational force when the primary sheave starts to turn.
For more low end pull raising the pulley ratio works, and most start with the shim mod, and 1.7 mm's has been determined by many members here to be the max without further modification to the system.
Then, the secondary spring rate controls the amount of belt pressure in the pulley sheaves, and the E.P.I. orange spring is the same as the stock 700 spring.
Not sure where you are located so shipping may be a problem, but Arnie Cooper near Salt Lake City does primary machining and is good, here is his site;

contact him for details and he used to sell shims. I use his machining work with great success.
I’ll sell you mine, rode with it for maybe 10 miles then went back to my other setup.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Johnny, What setup are you using?
Sorry took me so long, I really can’t recall exactly but I do know it rocks, I have fuel controller, moded air box from jbs along with pipe from jbs and machined clutch with purple spring from jbs, I did change the weights from what they sent me though, I also put in small shim. Right now if someone said straight up they would trade me wheelers and there’s was brand knew I wouldn’t do it, that’s how great my setup is, also put stage 3 Elkas on it which was huge improvement but not as impressive as I thought they would be for the money. I use to have snowmobile shocks on it which were actually just as nice of a ride and only costed $100, but oh well the elkas look cooler!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry took me so long, I really can’t recall exactly but I do know it rocks, I have fuel controller, moded air box from jbs along with pipe from jbs and machined clutch with purple spring from jbs, I did change the weights from what they sent me though, I also put in small shim. Right now if someone said straight up they would trade me wheelers and there’s was brand knew I wouldn’t do it, that’s how great my setup is, also put stage 3 Elkas on it which was huge improvement but not as impressive as I thought they would be for the money. I use to have snowmobile shocks on it which were actually just as nice of a ride and only costed $100, but oh well the elkas look cooler!!
I also put slugs in clutch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wha
I also put slugs in clutch
t I would like to know is what pipe out there performs like the one I have but is a bit quieter, I do hunt with mine and my pipe is a bit loud for stealth mode. But I’m not gonna run quiet one for hunting than change back at end of season. I like one all around good setup and if I have to stay with pipe I have oh well .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts