Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Grizzly 700 running rough/stalling when warm

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Scoundrel 
#1 ·
Hey guys! New to the forum... looking for some help! Im at the end of my skill set when it comes to troubleshooting my issue...
I have a 2007 Grizz 700FI with around 7000km on it. Its pretty much stock... other than a K&N air filter, a billet exhaust tip and an EPI clutch kit for 27" tires. No pipes or programmers or other upgrades.
I have had no issues with the engine or electrical system in its lifetime. Ive been good with maintenance and upkeep. So the other day I was out hunting... and the machine ran just fine as always. I had a long (15km) high speed ride back to home base. Didnt pin it the whole way home... but was cruising pretty good. probably 70-80km/h the whole way. So maybe 3/4 throttle? I dunno... not sure if it matters. Regardless, it ran fine...
The next day I went out for my evening hunt. Fired it up, let it warm up while i packed my gear, headed out on the road and within a few mins it started sputtering and running rough and eventually stalled right out, about a mile from home... I could start it, it would idle for a couple seconds and die. I tried a few times and eventually, it wouldnt even start. So I called my buddy to come pull me home... when I poured a drink and stewed about it for an hour or so. I another buddy showed up a couple hours later and I decided to show him what was up... To my surprise, it started fine after it cooled down. I went for a rip around the yard and when it warmed up, it started doing the same thing. Sputtering, bogging down, backfiring and then stall... Not able to restart until it cooled.
SO... after doing some research on this site and other sites, I did some basic checks.
I changed the spark plug (which was probably original and was pretty sooty black). I checked the wire connections. I cleaned the K&N filter. Added some Seafoam to the tank. And I checked the TPS diagnostics which came in at 16 (idle) and 100 (wide open). Which seems fine!
The problem persists!!! I dont know what to do next... Im going to do a compression test when I find a tester that fits. But I dunno if its actually a compression/ring thing as it fires right up and runs fine for about 5 mins. Its only once it warms up that it falls on its face... Something is heating up and expanding? An electrical module is heating up and failing? Fuel pump warming up and failing? I dunno.....
Any insight, experiences or suggestions are greatly needed and much appreciated! I need this rig for the remainder of the hunting season and REALLY dont want to take it too the stealership to get hosed... especially on a 10 yr old, miled out machine... Its really not worth the bill.
HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you notice if your reverse light flashes, part of your problem sounds like the neutral switch is going bad, but when mine did it never stalled.

Reactions: RedRocket
#5 ·
PA., yeah I'd agree it doesn't quite sound the same as I just had this issue happen on mine and the bike cuts out at speed, R light flashes, but bike comes right back and never truly stalled. Mine never stalled or became hard to start until it cooled down. OP's issues seems very different.

To me, OP's issue sounds vaguely similar to the old "boiling" fuel issue.

Reactions: PA. GRIZZLY
#3 ·
Welcome to GC.

#4 ·
Hey..Swerve83...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

The reverse light is a good starting point.

I would also siphon out the fuel tank. Put the first pint or so into a clear bottle to see if there is water in the fuel.
An engine will most times run good the when tank is full with a little water in the fuel. As the fuel is used up the water concentration increases and eventually causes problems similar to yours.
Just experienced this with a friends Ranger. We siphoned out 2 gallons on fuel with water in it. Then added 2 gallons of fresh fuel to his tank. Ran good after.

#6 ·
I had that "reverse switch" issue a few years ago... Its been fixed.
I guess I should start with the fuel... drain it out and add fresh. I really cant see that being the issue though as I added fuel to the quad and then added fuel to the genny that was powering the cabin. And the Honda genny never had an issue... and I killed the jerry can on the genny. So that would mean, if there was water in the can, it would have ended up in the genny, as it would be settled on the bottom of the jerry can. Correct?
My fuel cap was tight on the quad. So I dont know how water would have gone in there.... But ill drain it and try it I suppose.

#7 ·
Has your 2007 had the fuel vent recall done?
Did you pop the fuel cap off when it was happening?
Could be pressure/vacuum in the tank.

#8 ·
X2 on fuel tank vent... mine acted somewhat like that when it failed. Another thing to check is when it dies and won't start back check the spark to see if it's getting any.

#10 ·
He said 7000 km. That's 4300 miles which doesn't seem like too many for a modern fuel injected vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.