Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I wanted to pose a question about failing starters.
I have a 2018 700 SE with 150 hrs on it. Yesterday the starter failed... I removed it, and took the casing off the starter only to find that the magnets inside had all let go, and some were broken!!! The reason I came to the forum is that this is the second time this exact same thing has happened. I have an 09 700 SE and a few years ago this is exactly what happened to the starter on it. I just wondered if anyone here has had this issue before? I've written to Yamaha but I'm not holding my breath that they'll come thru for me....I mean there's obviously a design flaw in these starters but I'm not convinced they'll readily admit that.
Thanks for any responses....part number btw is SKU28P-81890-00-00
If there are others, maybe we should all gang up on Yamaha and get some results!馃槈馃槈
Thanks by

Premium Member
there have been other threads on this, some think its the magnet manufacturer cutting corners in the last few years.
I would say get an o.e.m. starter with warranty and hope for the best,
Did you write to Yamaha U.S.A.?

Registered
Did your starter just fail out of the blue, or had you noticed any other symptoms of it getting weaker?

I just got a new OEM starter motor for my 2012 700 delivered yesterday. Mine has been turning over a little slower and a little slower for the past couple of years. I replaced the original battery last summer thinking that was the cause but there was no improvement and I didn't take anymore time to look into it. My machine has 2900 miles and 340 hours on it - I also need to check the valves to make sure they haven't tightened up. I hope to find a time to get it installed this week but I've been battling some back issues that make a task like that more difficult. I'm interested to see if the magnets have disintegrated in my starter too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx guys,
Ridgeway....no, I'm in Canada 馃嚚馃嚘 so have written to Yamaha.ca.....if there have been threads on this subject over time, it's a shame Yamaha hasn't taken notice and done some searching for a better magnet supplier. I think perhaps it's the glue used to stick the magnets to the casing? In any event it would seem like a simple fix if Yamaha could be bothered to address it.

Premium Member
Thx guys,
Ridgeway....no, I'm in Canada 馃嚚馃嚘 so have written to Yamaha.ca.....if there have been threads on this subject over time, it's a shame Yamaha hasn't taken notice and done some searching for a better magnet supplier. I think perhaps it's the glue used to stick the magnets to the casing? In any event it would seem like a simple fix if Yamaha could be bothered to address it.
Always remember Yamaha doesn't care about customer satisfaction, only corporate profits, so they make a better than average product, and some have shitty starters.
If you think Yamaha cares about you, when was the last time you got a Christmas card from Yamaha....or a 'Happy Easter' note?
I bought my bike new in '06' and have not got a single call, or anything from them (Corporate or Dealership) in the mail :(, and I'm not holding my breathe waiting for a change.
Yamaha starters are not the only brand having de-lam problems, I think its kind'a big problem with many manufactures.

Registered
The starter motors are not made by Yamaha.
The starter motors are made by Mitsuba. Most ATV manufacturers use Mitsuba starter motors, and many use the same internal parts, just slightly different casings for different mounting applications.
If I remember correctly, the starter motors are model #: SM-13 (or something like that).

Starter motor magnet debonding happens with every manufacturer. And it seems to be happening a little more often than it used to years ago. Or is it simply the fact there is more sales of ATV's and SxS's than ever before, and we have the internet for everyone to share their negative experiences. Maybe the failure rate percentage is no higher than before.......or maybe not.

Registered
If you'd like to find a few threads about the starter magnet debonding issue, search my user name and/or the word "debond" on this site. I weighed in on about a half dozen such threads since my 2016 Grizzly 700 experienced this failure in 2019 with low hours and miles. Seems to be a somewhat common (or at least not uncommon) failure mode for these starters.

Registered
If you'd like to find a few threads about the starter magnet debonding issue, search my user name and/or the word "debond" on this site. I weighed in on about a half dozen such threads since my 2016 Grizzly 700 experienced this failure in 2019 with low hours and miles. Seems to be a somewhat common (or at least not uncommon) failure mode for these starters.
Just another data point. Just had the second OEM starter in my 2016 Grizzly 700 have the magnets debond from the starter case, September 2022. 270 hrs and 1600 miles on the bike. I should by a lottery ticket I鈥檓 so lucky.
Hand Finger Automotive tire Household hardware Gas

Automotive tire Finger Nail Gas Thumb

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Automotive tire Finger Wheel Gas

Super Moderator
Always remember Yamaha doesn't care about customer satisfaction, only corporate profits, so they make a better than average product, and some have shitty starters.
If you think Yamaha cares about you, when was the last time you got a Christmas card from Yamaha....or a 'Happy Easter' note?
I bought my bike new in '06' and have not got a single call, or anything from them (Corporate or Dealership) in the mail :(, and I'm not holding my breathe waiting for a change.
Yamaha starters are not the only brand having de-lam problems, I think its kind'a big problem with many manufactures.
I actually got a Christmas card and a keychain from Yamaha in 2018, a few months after buying my bike. My keychain was stolen out of my locker at the gym along with a Costco gift card with only just under $1 left on it. Lol
I get a birthday card with a hat or t-shirt from my dealer every year. 2018 was the dealership hat, 2019 was a nice blue Yamaha t-shirt, 2020 was a red Yamaha hat, and last year was another hat from dealership with Yamaha and Mitsubishi on it. (They sell Mitsubishi cars at this dealer). Last time I was in I told them I would really like a new 9.9 for my boat with my 2022 birthday card......
Fingers crossed.....

Super Moderator
It's not just Yamaha starters, if you jump on the other brands forums, it's been a common issue in the last few years. They all seem to be using the same starter manufacturer..... Most likely the lowest bidder

Registered
I actually got a Christmas card and a keychain from Yamaha in 2018, a few months after buying my bike. My keychain was stolen out of my locker at the gym along with a Costco gift card with only just under $1 left on it. Lol
I get a birthday card with a hat or t-shirt from my dealer every year. 2018 was the dealership hat, 2019 was a nice blue Yamaha t-shirt, 2020 was a red Yamaha hat, and last year was another hat from dealership with Yamaha and Mitsubishi on it. (They sell Mitsubishi cars at this dealer). Last time I was in I told them I would really like a new 9.9 for my boat with my 2022 birthday card......
Fingers crossed.....
Either you buy an enormous volume from your dealer, they have a fat margin or they are generous folks (maybe all three).

I鈥檝e bought dozens of cars, trucks, powersports and tractors over the last few decades. Three hats (one of which I asked for).

It鈥檚 probably just me. Same luck I have with starters in my Griz. Oh, and two busted starters at retail price.

Still waiting on this year鈥檚 birthday card.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts