Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe an odd question, but winter will eventually be here…
We get a lot of snow, but also wet/mild days mixed in so most times it’s like shovelling or snow blowing cement! Winter lasts from late Nov. to late April or later.
Anyone on here have or use a plow? Is it worth it? Any recommendations?
Or anyone have or use a snowblower on the bike??

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
133 Posts
Well 2 sides to every coin, but the skinny side decides. My background, we had 2 450 Kodiaks with Warn plows, 54 inch wide that could angle 2 steps left and right. They were mounted underneath in the middle, use 2 hitch pins to hook up and the winch to raise it or later we got electric rams, by far the better choice, (more later). I worked at the place for 10 years and we had to clean our own parking lot, about 150 x 150 feet just a bit west of Barrie and yes we could get dumped on severely. If you could get some of the brain dead operators to push the snow back an extra 50 feet to leave room for the next 20 dumps all was fine, some of those clowns were A: too lazy, B: too stupid to understand that. Once you have snow piled up, it freezes into a solid block and no ATV no matter what speed you hit it with will move it. We also had 3 10HP snow blowers, they were needed at times. I saw one guy in town had the ATV with blower attachment, holy schekel, almost $4K. Very long and not the most nimble, made for long driveways and lots of room. My choice, I have an old Ariens 7HP blower from 1968 and it's still going strong, blow the snow far away, sloppy days, take 1/2 cuts. Back to raising the plow. Save your winch and solenoid for mudding and getting out when stuck. Some guys were constantly breaking the cable, ripping the eye bolt out of the plow frame. Finally convinced them to buy 2 of these, super easy to install. The nice thing, auto shut off on a full raise or drop, no more burning out the solenoids. If I ever got a plow, this would be in the same parts box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well 2 sides to every coin, but the skinny side decides. My background, we had 2 450 Kodiaks with Warn plows, 54 inch wide that could angle 2 steps left and right. They were mounted underneath in the middle, use 2 hitch pins to hook up and the winch to raise it or later we got electric rams, by far the better choice, (more later). I worked at the place for 10 years and we had to clean our own parking lot, about 150 x 150 feet just a bit west of Barrie and yes we could get dumped on severely. If you could get some of the brain dead operators to push the snow back an extra 50 feet to leave room for the next 20 dumps all was fine, some of those clowns were A: too lazy, B: too stupid to understand that. Once you have snow piled up, it freezes into a solid block and no ATV no matter what speed you hit it with will move it. We also had 3 10HP snow blowers, they were needed at times. I saw one guy in town had the ATV with blower attachment, holy schekel, almost $4K. Very long and not the most nimble, made for long driveways and lots of room. My choice, I have an old Ariens 7HP blower from 1968 and it's still going strong, blow the snow far away, sloppy days, take 1/2 cuts. Back to raising the plow. Save your winch and solenoid for mudding and getting out when stuck. Some guys were constantly breaking the cable, ripping the eye bolt out of the plow frame. Finally convinced them to buy 2 of these, super easy to install. The nice thing, auto shut off on a full raise or drop, no more burning out the solenoids. If I ever got a plow, this would be in the same parts box.
I’ve lived near Barrie for a couple of years and I know the winters. Very similar to where I am now but much colder there!! But snow totals are similar.
Makes sense, The blower attachment would be extra bulky and will take up a lot of extra space. The plow seems to be a better choice. I’ll definitely keep the electric rams in mind. I know the Warn winch comes with the bike and reviews seem to be good for the Warn plow. I try to look at things and think, if I’m going to buy something, do it right the first time…unfortunately that’s not always the case!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have long, straight things to clear (like long sidewalks), a plow is the bomb. If you have something with a lot of turns, a regular (not ATV-mounted) snowblower is the best. If you have bigger areas to do, an ATV-mounted snowblower can be even better.

I know one dude that built a custom cab around his grizzly, and only used it for running the ATV-mounted snowblower up and down the road in/out of his property.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
you struck a nerve with this post..... one of my biggest pet peeves..... the stupid people plowing that won't push way back or up. so at my work on surface at the mines in Levack, just north of Sudbury, our company also has the contract for snow removal at almost all the mines. Us operators have to plow our work areas and close surrounding areas while we do our regular work. Myself being so lucky to get tasked with plowing my area, the huge staging area, crusher pad, and all around our lunch shack and parking area plus the roadways to each of those areas, along with my regular loading trucks, all because i have the biggest loader. the problem is my cross shift and the 2 crosses on our days off. they never push the snow way back or up high to antisipate for the next storm. So i'm left pushing up huge piles of now hard frozen snow every single time. i just dont understand, it's a huge loader doing the work, why not push the piles the extra 30 ft or pile it up high. it can lift 22 tonne, so it's not like they are tired. lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maybe an odd question, but winter will eventually be here…
We get a lot of snow, but also wet/mild days mixed in so most times it’s like shovelling or snow blowing cement! Winter lasts from late Nov. to late April or later.
Anyone on here have or use a plow? Is it worth it? Any recommendations?
Or anyone have or use a snowblower on the bike??
A snowblower works better, until it's too windy and the powder blows back in your face. A plow works well as long as you push it far off the drive you are plowing, because once that pile sits and freezes, it's there until it melts. There are times when each will work better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have plowed a lot with ATV’s. The plows do great if you don't let the snow get too deep and if it's not a wet heavy snow. I've easily pushed over a foot of light fluffy snow but have struggled with less than 6" of wet heavy snow. The problem is the ATV's just aren't heavy enough to push the wet heavy stuff. I'm plowing concrete and asphalt driveways so I have never tried tire chains but I don't think they would help that much either.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I’m gonna let my YS624TE do the work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts