Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Grizzly 660 that I have owned for the last 8 years. The bike is great, no problems at all. My question is, would it be worth trading in on a 2012 700 Grizzly or should I just keep what I have and wait till I can afford one of the newer Grizzlys with the 708cc engines? Power steering isn't an issue for me but it would be nice I guess. I also been wanting a blue one, mine is green. I really don't want to end up trading a good bike for something I cant tell any difference in. I know most of you guys have ridden both. What are your suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the big changes were 07 to the 700 and eps, then 14 had a bunch of changes, then 16 new motor and even more changes. I don't have an older one to compare it to.

I think eps is likely a bigger issue than you might think. Less fatiguing and you can run faster in technical areas than w/o it.

Most of the reviews state the upgrades were more of a refinement than being a totally different machine. I know I liked the ergonomics and longer flat seat of the 16 to be able to shift weight fore and aft easier seated. You probably would like a new blue one, but the grizzly has been good so long that it's likely more of a subtle upgrade, rather than light years ahead. I think you'd notice the eps more than anything else.

If your '06 is still going strong, I'd suggest looking for a long time including the off-season where sometimes things can get real cheap. The 2018s are out, with no changes to the 2016 models yet. If you can swing a 2012 now, you may only be a couple years away from getting a 2016, and with the '06 still doing good, maybe that's your best option.

·
Registered
55 Posts
And I don't like my color either, if that helps! Good deals never seem to be the right color.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a 06 Grizzly 660 that I have owned for the last 8 years. The bike is great, no problems at all. My question is, would it be worth trading in on a 2012 700 Grizzly or should I just keep what I have and wait till I can afford one of the newer Grizzlys with the 708cc engines? Power steering isn't an issue for me but it would be nice I guess. I also been wanting a blue one, mine is green. I really don't want to end up trading a good bike for something I cant tell any difference in. I know most of you guys have ridden both. What are your suggestions? Thanks.
Get the 2012 if it is in good condition. I had a 2009 and now I have a 2016. I miss my 2009. It rode better, was smaller, and just more fun to ride. My 2016 rides rougher and feels much larger and less sporty. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have had 3 660 over the years good machine but all used oil with higher miles. I should have modified the air filter box for a better seal around the air filter but didn't the 700 has a much better air filter design. Just traded a 2005 with 11,000 miles for a 2008 with 1,000 miles and 2,500 cash best trade in ever. The 700 engine from 07 - 15 will last a lot longer. Ride with a guy who has over 17,000 on his 08 and it still uses no oil.

·
Registered
937 Posts
In my opinion, it all depends on the miles and condition of both machines. The 660 is a great machine and you have one from the 06-08 generation (which is said to be the best overall build if I recall correctly). My 2012 rides rougher than my Dad's 03 660 and his has a lot more snap at the throttle. My 2012 is a very nice quad but it lags on take-off far more than any 660 I've ridden. It all comes down to $$$ and what you want.

If you can get a nicer, lower mileage, well-cared for ride for not a lot of cash, then go for it. If the cost is a concern, keep what you have and go for a nice ride and enjoy it.

Reactions: waltinbatonrouge

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cost is a huge issue for me. My Grizzly has no issues at all. Doesn't use a drop of oil. Runs great, no backfires, rattles or anything. I do like the blue but after reading your responses I think I'll save up and wait for something newer. Due to work I just get to ride about every other weekend. I sure do appreciate the advice. That puts my mind at ease for now. I was thinking I was missing out on a huge difference. Thanks for helping me from going in debt on something else lol.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,669 Posts
Why don't you take it for a test ride and get your own opinion of what you think of it? Not that the suggestions offered in this thread are off-base... but hard for us to really tell what you would like. A test ride should cost 0 $.

Worse case is that bike was horribly maintenanced and you decide to walk anyway, not doubting any decisions.

·
Premium Member
10,686 Posts
Keep the 660 and mod the C.V.T. for great performance, for cheap.
Green is the fastest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rode it but couldn't tell much about it. My local dealer has a small parking lot and they will not let you out of that area. I couldn't tell much difference power wise from the 660 but I thought maybe it was because I was in such a small area. Maybe the cvt mod is what I need to do to freshen up the one I have.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
If you're looking to upgrade, I would go for a 14 or up. And this is coming from a guy that just acquired exactly what you were asking about in blue with a few extra goodies as a flip. This machine has 800ish miles on it and is in really good shape except for a leak at the drive shaft on the front diff. Parts are on the way, though. Happy hunting if you decide to upgrade! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
983 Posts
any local riding groups near you??..check with the SERVICE guys at the local dealer, one or more of them rides regularly..they could turn you on..guys are always eager to swap rides for a bit just cuz..you'll find someone who lets you use their 700 for a bit on the trails..then you'll know

anywho...
Just some personal advice..
Be very patient...in case you are maybe thinking that you can get a 700 cheap and "fix it up". If you just MIGHT be..keep reading..

They are lots of 700's out there for sale..if $$ is indeed a major concern for you then, you're going to find a number of $2000 grizzlies that are beat..maybe low hours but whipped and broken with many unknown or undiagnosed problems..thats why they are cheap..

I rebuild some of these basket cases..if you'd like to see my latest Grizz 700 cheapie with some examples of the monkeyed up stuff you will find let me know.
I picked up a 2010 Grizz 700 with 250 ish hours for $1000... can post pics and a bit of a narrative..

walt

oh as noted earlier, your late model 660 is a bullet proof, very reliable little beast because YOU kept it that way...all grizzly owners are not like you. ...again be patient...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I have decided to keep what I have until something I find something in real good shape. I actually would rather find one with the larger engine anyway. My Grizz has been good to me. I've had it longer than I've had any other bike. My father, who's 73, has a 06 Brute Force 750 and I have rode it some but Id rather have my Grizzly. HE says he likes the grizzly better too. I do wish they made a twin cylinder Grizzly though. I know what you mean about the basket cases that are out there. Two of my friends have bought atv's this summer that showed low miles (last one showed 108 miles) but we ended up putting bearings and seals all the way around and one front axle. Lot of display switching going on here in Ky. I sure it happens everywhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
With money a concern, a grizzly in great shape, plus riding seldom, it's an easy choice. Learn to like green, think of it representing the money in your wallet.

Who knows? Maybe it will last long enough until Yamaha makes a twin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think you made the right decision, you also know the history and reliability of your existing machine.

Having said that, can of blue spray paint is about $4. :wink2:

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
While I have a blue 2017, power wise it does not seem a whooping difference from the 04 660 I just sold, that machine was peppy and bomb proof...but, the EPS is the real win, that was my focus. The times I have used on technical trails has been outstanding. This coming winter it will certainly make a difference plowing and likewise hauling a elk or two out.

I prefer to look at value for use as I tend to hold onto things, figured paid less then $4K for 13 years of good use, so not a bad ROI..

The EPS is the real win with these machines.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Buying used is always risky so if you have a quad you are happy with than I would hang on to it. I use to be like you and thought EPS was no big deal but now I'm 58 and both shoulders are hurting a little and aggressive quad riding is really hard on your shoulders so my next machine will definitely have it. I still don't really feel like I need EPS but it is cheaper than shoulder surgery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My next machine will have power steering too. I tore a rotator cuff in my shoulder a couple years ago and couldn't ride for about a year. So I can see why power steering is needed. I even considered buying a power steering kit for my 660 during that time. Right now there's no way I can buy a new one, so I would have to buy used and I was afraid to let the 2012 get by me if there was a big difference between it and my 660. MY 660 is a great bike and in really great condition. I think I saw the 700 and got the trading bug lol. I think I'll keep riding and wait and see what Yamaha comes out with in the next couple years. I want to thank everyone for their honesty and for saving me some money. :rocker:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought a 660 S.E. in 05. I bought it off the showroom floor. In the years that I ridden it, it has never let me down and I have not been real nice to it. At times I think that I would like a new machine, and at 62 I admit that I thought that the E.P.S. would be nice I found that the larger size negated the advantage for me.
On an Elk hunt with my son his 700s battery died, no pull-start. This ment a tow back to camp and a 100 mile trip for a new battery. For me this machine is like a good horse or dog, and I will keep it until it dies.I am used to it.
P.S. If color is the only problem. New plastics or paint can solve that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts