Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
So i got grizz for few weeks now and i did little counting. With 10liters of fuel į managed to travel 63kilometers. Its not much i think. Į never ride throttle heavy like mine speed is max likę 65-70km/h.Is there ways to make better fuel economy. In mine country fuel is A95 only we got nothing else

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,516 Posts
Set up your signature. Go to USER CP and SIGNATURE to do so. It keeps us from asking what you have and keeps you from having to give that info in each post. Ridgway is an excellent source of info on fuel mileage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uhm its 2007 Yamaha grizzly 700 bought at 2009 and i bought it 2015

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Without finding a conversion table, are you getting about 15 to 16 miles per gallon?
If so, there is more to be had with a well tuned grizz. and the right C.V.T. set-up for you tires.
It about finding the right pulley ratio for the riding conditions, then using the right weight of weights to control the up-shift to your cruising speed.
Engines loss efficiency when they operate at rpms past the point where the torque and horse power curves meet. That's why we shift gears in cars or trucks.
What is your roll-out and current ratio?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know about roll out.What is roll out? At the moment im with stock tires. In future going to get zillas 26" or something similar. I got 14miles per gallon or near 15. I Would really need higher miles per gallon

·
Registered
464 Posts
Without finding a conversion table, are you getting about 15 to 16 miles per gallon?
If so, there is more to be had with a well tuned grizz. and the right C.V.T. set-up for you tires.
It about finding the right pulley ratio for the riding conditions, then using the right weight of weights to control the up-shift to your cruising speed.
Engines loss efficiency when they operate at rpms past the point where the torque and horse power curves meet. That's why we shift gears in cars or trucks.
What is your roll-out and current ratio?
Lmfao the dudes from Lithuania he probably thought your a mad scientist with your hipothosis

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First dont say that Lithuanians dont know anything. Its just ive never heard of roll out. And doesnt know meaning of it. :D and ive been driving chinese ATV for 7years so its kind of new to me

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
I dont know about roll out.What is roll out? At the moment im with stock tires. In future going to get zillas 26" or something similar. I got 14miles per gallon or near 15. I Would really need higher miles per gallon
The roll-out is how far the tire rolls in one revolution. I don't know about bikes there but here the stock roll-out is very close to 74"s when the tires are new.
Just so you know, the speedometer is probably off with stock tires and you can confirm this with a G.P.S.
If this is the case there, like here, your aren't going the 15 miles you think either.
I found tires that measure 26'6"s tall by true measurement make the speedometer correct.
You can enter your roll-out measurement in a radius calculator and determine the exact tire diameter.
I use this one;
Circle And Sphere Calculator

The roll-out is critical for me to understanding the drag to your system.
Knowing what the stock set-up numbers are allows someone modifying the bike to calculate percentage changes, or for someone else to help.

·
Registered
464 Posts
First dont say that Lithuanians dont know anything. Its just ive never heard of roll out. And doesnt know meaning of it. :D and ive been driving chinese ATV for 7years so its kind of new to me
Chill buddy,never said Lithuania's are dumb.lt was hard for me to understand what he was talkin about to.Dont get offended it was a joke.As far as your machine it sounds like your pretty much bang on with the amount of kms for liters.Only way to reduce fuel consumption is don't idle it to much,reduce as much weight on machine you can and go with smaller lighter tires like stock 25's.Throttle plays a big part just ride the thing like an old man.it is what it is.so I say hammer down and bring extra fuel!!!!:peace:

·
Registered
678 Posts
My 2007, 700 with 25" Maxxis Big Horn tires, 1.7 mm of shim, stock secondary spring, and everything else was stock and I got the same mpg as your saying, 14-15 mpg. This would be about 1/2 4x4, trail riding at around 15 mph.

Now, with my 2008, 700 with 26" Maxxis Big Horn tires, 1.8 mm of shim, purple secondary spring, and everything else stock I'm getting about 19-20 mpg. in trail riding around 15 mph. and about 1/2 4x4. Can't explain the improvement from the 2007 to the 2008, but definitely better.

Last month at Taylor Park, CO, I rode from Taylor Park to Pitkin and back, plus 1 side trail above Cumberland Pass, and got 27 mpg. granted this was almost all gravel road at 25 - 30 mph. but did get above 12,000 ft. in elevation. I had never gotten that good of gas mileage before. The non-ethanol fuel made quite a difference, normally I just use 87 ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chill buddy,never said Lithuania's are dumb.lt was hard for me to understand what he was talkin about to.Dont get offended it was a joke.As far as your machine it sounds like your pretty much bang on with the amount of kms for liters.Only way to reduce fuel consumption is don't idle it to much,reduce as much weight on machine you can and go with smaller lighter tires like stock 25's.Throttle plays a big part just ride the thing like an old man.it is what it is.so I say hammer down and bring extra fuel!!!!:peace:
I get it dont worry. And with throttle į never ride wide open. I like going like 60km/h when going fast and so on.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 2007, 700 with 25" Maxxis Big Horn tires, 1.7 mm of shim, stock secondary spring, and everything else was stock and I got the same mpg as your saying, 14-15 mpg. This would be about 1/2 4x4, trail riding at around 15 mph.

Now, with my 2008, 700 with 26" Maxxis Big Horn tires, 1.8 mm of shim, purple secondary spring, and everything else stock I'm getting about 19-20 mpg. in trail riding around 15 mph. and about 1/2 4x4. Can't explain the improvement from the 2007 to the 2008, but definitely better.

Last month at Taylor Park, CO, I rode from Taylor Park to Pitkin and back, plus 1 side trail above Cumberland Pass, and got 27 mpg. granted this was almost all gravel road at 25 - 30 mph. but did get above 12,000 ft. in elevation. I had never gotten that good of gas mileage before. The non-ethanol fuel made quite a difference, normally I just use 87 ethanol fuel.
So 2008 is better with fuel than 07. Can mine fuel do anything or no ? The fuel is always A95.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The roll-out is how far the tire rolls in one revolution. I don't know about bikes there but here the stock roll-out is very close to 74"s when the tires are new.
Just so you know, the speedometer is probably off with stock tires and you can confirm this with a G.P.S.
If this is the case there, like here, your aren't going the 15 miles you think either.
I found tires that measure 26'6"s tall by true measurement make the speedometer correct.
You can enter your roll-out measurement in a radius calculator and determine the exact tire diameter.
I use this one;
Circle And Sphere Calculator

The roll-out is critical for me to understanding the drag to your system.
Knowing what the stock set-up numbers are allows someone modifying the bike to calculate percentage changes, or for someone else to help.
At the moment stock tires that are on mine bike are almost naked. In future when i get new tires i will be counting roll out. Mine grizz goes max only 95km/h and rev limiter kicks in i think because the belt is getting narrower that can that affect fuel too i guess ?

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
At the moment stock tires that are on mine bike are almost naked. In future when i get new tires i will be counting roll out. Mine grizz goes max only 95km/h and rev limiter kicks in i think because the belt is getting narrower that can that affect fuel too i guess ?
The C.V.T. system is very sensitive. All individual parts effect the system, so yes the width of the belt is important. I use different width belts to tune my set-up.
I suggest you determine the roll-out of your current tires for comparison to the new tires.
Why?
Once you feel the difference caused by the new tires, you can calculate the percentage change causing the different performance.

Here's something for you to consider.
A car put in overdrive and at top speed, W.O.T., with a tail wind and going down hill the engine does not hit top r.p.m., yet the same car in a lower gear under the same conditions, the engine hits top r.p.m. but the car doesn't go as fast.
Now add new tires to both the above situations, either taller or shorter and consider the results.

This thread was about changing the transmission, not the engine to affect mpg and that is easily done.

·
Registered
678 Posts
So 2008 is better with fuel than 07. Can mine fuel do anything or no ? The fuel is always A95.
My 2008 definitely gets better fuel mileage than my 2007 did, under the same conditions. I don't have any hard evidence to say that all 2008s are better on fuel mileage than 2007 models, but when I originally bought my 2007, in 2011, I too questioned other GC riders to get a comparison of my fuel mileage and it seemed that most with newer models than the 2007 were getting better mileage than I was and others with 2007 models, I wasn't that much different than they were. I usually averaged between 13 and 16 mpg. with the 2007. Of course riding conditions make all the difference, so it is very hard for different individuals to make comparisons unless they are riding together at the same time. As far as I know, all the 700s from 2007 - 2013 are the same, Yamaha advertised a fuel improvement starting in 2014.

Almost all of my riding is done with 3 other friends, who 2 have Honda Rincons 2006 & 2007 & and the other a Polaris HO 550, all 3 will consistently use within 0.1 gal of each other and on my 2007 700 I consistently used 25% more fuel than they would use. We would compare amount used every time we filled up and we have probably made this comparison more than 20 times. Now with the 2008 I only use about 10% more fuel than they do but I can go the same number of miles on a tank of fuel, maybe even a few more, due to having a larger fuel tank than they do.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Maybe you have explained this before but how did you come to that conclusion. Was it by gps??

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Servicing the Primary Clutch might help too. I suspect your clutch needs a good servicing due to your low top speed. If your hitting the Rev limiter at only 95 kph, then something is off in the clutch if all stock like you stated.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Maybe you have explained this before but how did you come to that conclusion. Was it by gps??
Yes.
My roll-out was put into a calculator and the diameter was 26.5"s true with the 26" O.G.s
Then myself and a couple other members went riding with a G.P.S. and determines what the indicated speed of different sized tires was for a known true speed.
We did 20 mph, 40 mph and 60 mph true.
At 20 mph mine was dead on.
A grizzly with 25" tires was had to indicate 23 at a true 20 mph.
A stock tired grizzly with tires measuring 23.5"s true had to indicate 26 at a true 20 mph.

Then I doubled my speed and the others doubled too.
Then I went to 60 mph and the stock grizzly couldn't keep up due to lake of engine r.p.m.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts