Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I apologize in advance for the stupid question. I'm aware the Grizzly doesn't have a "turf saving" limited slip rear diff like Polaris does. Long story short: Low storage, large very compacted lawn, don't want to buy and store a lawn tractor and love the Grizzly too much in its natural habitat to want to trade it. Can I use a Grizzly to tow a core aerator? Can I do it without destroying everything while turning? Checking... for a friend? :) I'm wondering if these things can also do work once in a while instead of just having fun. I was wondering, if it makes sense, could you somehow semi-easily disable the rear wheel drive, set it in 4wd and use the front (with an actual diff) to move the bike and aerator at relatively low speed? Willing to MacGyver something if it won't cause damage to the bike.

Completely stupid, partially stupid or only stupid if it doesn't work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Only way to disconnect the rear end is to completely remove the rear driveshaft. This requires removing the diff mounting hardware and pulling diff back in the frame.

Honestly, the bike will barely move itself with only front wheel drive and open differential. Locking the front differential defeats the purpose, and makes steering very difficult (almost impossible without power steering). And it will not really improve much of its ability to move itself either.

Just use a non-abrasive tire and you'll do fine. Worn out tires work great for this as they will not tear up the lawn at all (but they suck for anything else).

Reactions: Vincent

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
And how would you keep the engine oil in the engine with no drive shaft?
You didn't say how big/heavy the roller/poker is, maybe when you get to the end of each run, unhook from the griz and turn it around by hand and slowly move the griz to go the other way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a friend that uses his other brand ATV (Honda) with the same 4WD system as the Grizzly to mow his lawn with a cool rig. He has never had an issue. Just take the corners wider. These ATVs are meant to work and play!

·
Registered
299 Posts
A non aggressive tire is key here, or a worn out tire.
Drive easy, wide turns, should be minimal damage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Buy a extra set of rear rims and put on a turf tires.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
And how would you keep the engine oil in the engine with no drive shaft?
You didn't say how big/heavy the roller/poker is, maybe when you get to the end of each run, unhook from the griz and turn it around by hand and slowly move the griz to go the other way.
He would only be removing the driveshaft. Not the couplers. The driveshaft simply splines into the coupler, and is only held in place by the differential mounting bolts.
The couplers are installed on to the engine and differential and what keeps the oils in by use of oil seals.

Reactions: Ridgway81432
1 - 7 of 7 Posts