Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new here and I found this site due to issues my son is having with his 2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660.

He just bought it from someone about a week ago and we have fixed some issues and it seems new ones pop up.

The current issue which happened today is the gear selector for P,N,R, etc.. was hard to shift. Then when we shifted into N, it still showed R and was actually in R, when we shifted to P, it still showed it was in R and it was in R. We went through the gears, sometimes it was fine, sometimes no matter the gear we put it in it would stay in R and even N sometimes.

We shut it down, started it right back up and it worked fine.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

As a side note: We weren't out riding it, it was in the backyard on the porch and we were finishing up working on one thing when this reared it's ugly head.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We tried it again today and to be more specific in case anyone can help or came across this before I'll try and explain better.

The first few minutes, shifting from N to P or any other gear is fine, then whatever gear it is in it wont shift out of. If you turn the ATV off, the you can shift the gear without it running into whatever gear you want. After starting though, once you shift it to another gear, that's again where it's stuck at and you have to shut it back down all over again.

Is there just and adjustment that needs to made somewhere or is it much more serious then that?

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
X2 idling too high

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't know, It doesn't seem to be. I'm not sure how loud its supposed to sound. We had earlier issues where it wouldn't stay running at idle. I'm sure the carb was probably a little dirty but now that it seems to not cut out this popped uo,

2+2 appears to equal that maybe.

Think I should adjust the idle screw down just a tad and test it out?

Neither of us have ever owned a four wheeler so were learning as we go. The somewhat good news is he took out today with friends and with the exception of having trouble putting into different gears it ran well beyond that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
x3 on the high idle. It wont let you shift if its at all above the normal idle. Now, it actually sounds like your shift bar is out of adjustment or the bar ends are worn out creating extra slop in the linkage. Doesnt take much. Theres also possibly some wear in the gear shifter assembly as well. Over time with mud n water n sand etc in there basically eroding the material away you can get loose parts. This will make shifting tricky. All part of owning a quad. Luckily this has been covered quite a bit as far as DIY fixes on here. Little bit of time, pateince and research will get this machine back in top form. Trust me, i went through all this with my '03.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will start looking through the forum and check out the fixes and adjustments needed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Same problem on my 2006, think my idle is high also but the screw adjustment seems stuck. I'll try this out and let you know if it helps with the shifting problem.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Update: the PO had driven in high water/mud many times and there was corrosion all over the carb so I couldn't adjust anything. Ended up taking it off and cleaning/rebuilding it just to get the idle adjustment screw to turn. Put it back on and discovered the throttle cable was too tight and keeping it above idle speed. Fixed that and got a nice low idle now and it will shift super easy again. Back to the trails now. :peace:

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Thanks for posting back the fix to your problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts