Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very long story.
My son was riding my 05 Grizzly 660 and broke a rear axle shaft... boys?
Anyways after sitting most of the year I finally got around to fixing it.
Went to fire up the bike and wouldn't turn over. Finally with a yank on the order it fired and ran rough.
I shut it down and found that there was gas and oil flooding into the airbox.
Figured a bad float while sitting over the summer flooded the crank so I pulled the carb, installed carb kit and changed oil and filter.
It fires right up but runs at high rpm like the cable is stuck and blows TONS of smoke.
Any ideas... I shut the door to think about this one.
Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I concur that it may be a an issue that you described- cable, vacuum. Don' think it's a float issue but more of a float needle issue. Doesn't take much dirt to get it to acting up.
I would highly recommend that you get use to turning off the petcock after each ride, letting it run until it runs out of gas. This will prevent gas from draining into the cylinder, or air box, and help prevent any accumulation of varnish in the carb. There should also be an adjusting nut on the cable (where it enters the top of the carb) to get the slide all the way to the bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a kinked throttle cable, replaced with new and solved the over rev problem.
There is still a small amount of smoke but thought maybe this will clear up.. hopefully.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Thanks on reporting back. Hope the smoking issue gets resolved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts