Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small first world dilemma 馃槅, In my area I found a grizzly and a king quad from two different dealers and the price difference is just over $500 (the grizzly being more expensive) slight difference in msrp and dealer fees. I have $500 down already on the grizzly however I have a couple concerns about it.

From what I鈥檝e been reading the strong suggestion is to immediately get an EHS tuner and air box, another $300-500. Making the total difference from the KingQuad close to $1000. Honestly I鈥檓 a little let down to have to spend more money on it to get it to run right.
My brothers have KQ鈥檚 a 2011 and 2014 with no issues. I wanted to try the Yamaha out as I feel it鈥檚 the reliable comparison.

I know this is a Grizzly forum but I鈥檓 looking for some objective opinions and or suggestions to either sway me for or not for the grizzly or KQ.
Is it worth the extra $500 for the grizzly and would I be fine without having to do the EHS mods?

thanks for any responses.

Registered
I have a 2019 Grizz and it runs fine without the EHS airbox or tuner. In fact its bone stock. I ride a wide variety of terrain at sea level or in mountains to well over 12k elevation. So far its got 3500 trouble free miles. Is their a reason why you feel you need to add those things? If I were going to buy a new quad today it would be between the Grizz and KQ. Its my belief that while the KQ is a good machine that does a lot of things well, IMHO the Grizzly does it a little better. I like the higher air/cv intakes on the Grizzly, more suspension travel and after driving both the Grizz and KQ the Grizz has the best EPS in the business. Again I'm not knocking the KQ, I actually like the looks of the KQ better but the overall function of the Grizz is hard to beat. I believe the Grizzly strikes the best balance of performance and reliability of any atv on the market. Good Luck with whatever you purchase!

Registered
1. No need for EHS and air box upgrade for a stock machine. If you want to use aftermarket exhaust, then you may but not for factory.

2. Suzuki does make a good machine that is very comparable to a Grizzly. (Look closely at my avatar pic and you鈥檒l see a king quad that I鈥檇 still own if it had power steering. ) IME the Yamaha will have better resale value.

Further information: I preferred cleaning the king quad compared to the Kodiak 700. The nuts were welded into the frame so removing the guards was a one hand job.
My largest complaint about my king quad was it鈥檚 a big machine to handle without power steering. The geometry of the front suspension is different than other manufacturers making this worse. I modified mine which helped but would still jar the handlebars. I believe power steering would resolve this, but didn鈥檛 find an easy way to add it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
All quads have to pass emissions, they all have to meet the same level. You do not need to add anything. I was just in the same boat as you, KQ or Grizzly, literally, I'm going to pick up my new one tomorrow. What really made me decide Grizzly was all of the video's I watched where people were talking about their KQ'S and they all kept comparing them to the Grizzly like it was the benchmark of the class. So I figure if they are all comparing their quads to the Grizzly why not just buy one. Don't think you could go wrong with either, both seem to be very nice machines. The Grizzly has more aftermarket support and the 686 engine is legendary. I've owned several Raptors since 07 with it. The KQ's here are cheaper also but the resale is also lower so there really is no advantage in price in the long run. Buy what you want, that's the only thing that makes me happy :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2019 Grizz and it runs fine without the EHS airbox or tuner. In fact its bone stock. I ride a wide variety of terrain at sea level or in mountains to well over 12k elevation. So far its got 3500 trouble free miles. Is their a reason why you feel you need to add those things? If I were going to buy a new quad today it would be between the Grizz and KQ. Its my belief that while the KQ is a good machine that does a lot of things well, IMHO the Grizzly does it a little better. I like the higher air/cv intakes on the Grizzly, more suspension travel and after driving both the Grizz and KQ the Grizz has the best EPS in the business. Again I'm not knocking the KQ, I actually like the looks of the KQ better but the overall function of the Grizz is hard to beat. I believe the Grizzly strikes the best balance of performance and reliability of any atv on the market. Good Luck with whatever you purchase!
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I feel I would need to add the EHS aftermarket mods is only due to what I鈥檝e read on these forums, nothing more, if it鈥檚 not necessary then great. I have no experience with the grizzly...yet.

Registered
As others have mentioned a new grizzly does not require an EHS air box and fuel tuner ......

Run it stock and save the $

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I feel I would need to add the EHS aftermarket mods is only due to what I鈥檝e read on these forums, nothing more, if it鈥檚 not necessary then great. I have no experience with the grizzly...yet.
The fuel tuner is not "needed" it's just recommend until you start modification on air and exhaust, then it's needed. The King quad runs just as lean, producing the same excess heat. Unfortunately this is just due to emissions standards they all need to meet.
Both bikes would be a great choice, but at the end of the day, you can't beat Yamaha reliability. Their 20year engine warranty shows this. And best cvt on the market.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
2010 Grizzly 700 SE, Warn 3000 XT, RM ATV Locking Heated Grips, Black Boar Cargo Trunk & Foot Pegs,
Like you I've pondered this question. I'm looking at getting a new quad this year. One thing the King doesn't have that I feel is essential is a Park gear. Yes, the King has a parking brake with the oil bathed system (Yamaha's Kodiak also has this oil bathed brake if it is a huge selling point for you). However, as someone who lost a Honda Rancher out the back of his truck (it managed to land on all 4s like a cat), I find a Park gear an essential piece of safety equipment. The other pluses and minuses of each machine kind of wash each other out and you just need to see if there is that 1 thing you have to have on your machine that the other doesn't have. The overall durability I've experienced with my Grizzly is probably what will have me getting another. Either way, you're getting a great machine and don't let anyone try to tell you any differently.

Reactions: Tniels

Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
I've never been on a KQ myself so I won't comment on comparison information. There are a lot of sheep on those facebook Grizzly groups that you have to be reading and I would be wearying of accepting information on there as absolute fact. Ask any of them that are saying what they are saying, how do they know it is lean? What are their AF ratios at which throttle position. You will either get silence or you will get hostile replies that you are an idiot and have no idea what you are referring to. Those groups are pretty hostile to those who aren't sheep.

The facebook Grizzly groups treat Eric at EHS as though he is the foremost expert on what happens with the Grizzly. I can tell you he specifically said an EHS tuner mapped with fuel programming at 200 feet above sea level will work fine for me when I typically run my Grizzly at 8000-12000 feet most of the time. And that the Grizzly definitely runs lean.

Well, I run a wideband AFR meter full time on my Grizzly. It DOES NOT run lean for me and the 686cc engine in my 2014 is exactly the same engine in the 2019+ Grizzly 700s. Don't be cornered into fear based on what nonsense gets put on the FB groups. I hope my message is not coming off as critical of you because it is not meant to be that way. I honestly find those FB groups filled with about 10% truth at best.

Registered
I have a small first world dilemma 馃槅, In my area I found a grizzly and a king quad from two different dealers and the price difference is just over $500 (the grizzly being more expensive) slight difference in msrp and dealer fees. I have $500 down already on the grizzly however I have a couple concerns about it.

From what I鈥檝e been reading the strong suggestion is to immediately get an EHS tuner and air box, another $300-500. Making the total difference from the KingQuad close to $1000. Honestly I鈥檓 a little let down to have to spend more money on it to get it to run right.
My brothers have KQ鈥檚 a 2011 and 2014 with no issues. I wanted to try the Yamaha out as I feel it鈥檚 the reliable comparison.

I know this is a Grizzly forum but I鈥檓 looking for some objective opinions and or suggestions to either sway me for or not for the grizzly or KQ.
Is it worth the extra $500 for the grizzly and would I be fine without having to do the EHS mods?

thanks for any responses.
I have owned 2019 rubicon,sold it and bought a 22 grizzly,my son owns a 2020 king quad . The Grizzly out handles the others night/day,if that matters to you. Not sure what you need the tuner and airbox for but my grizzly starts just looking at the button and the king quad is trouble free. The King quad is also very nice but feels like it has a high center of gravity and does not inspire confidence like the Grizzly.

Premium Member
I had same concerns before delivery of mine but frankly happy with mine stock. I don't hear any of this popping backfire noise.....

Who knows... maybe it is because I am still being gently with break-in

Side question: How cross compatible is 686 of 19+ with pre-16 models? I've read comments they are identical to the best of the 686 and the limited year 708 are the '19+ 686

The morning after I got it I had never heard it cold start before as dealer had it running. It took me a few seconds to realize that air noise from the air injection system that eventually went away after a minute or so.

Grizzled Moderator
Side question: How cross compatible is 686 of 19+ with pre-16 models? I've read comments they are identical to the best of the 686 and the limited year 708 are the '19+ 686
2014/15 686cc and 2019-2022 686cc are the same exact engine. This engine mostly differs from the 2007-2013 686cc in the top end. In 2014 there is a new head, header pipe, forged piston and some other forged internals.

The 708cc engine, found in Grizzly/Kodiak 700s, was during 2016-2018. The going information is that the 708cc was made in combination with Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru) while the Yamaha plant that produced the 686cc was being repaired.

Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
Had the same dilemma, as I liked the look of the new king quad better than the grizzly.

Really glad I got the grizzly finally. In person, the look is just better than in pictures, and the look grows on you (no dealer would have a grizzly of my color in a show-room, all sold as soon as they got in). As you start adding things to it, it just look mean, and I love it.

Also, working on all my vehicles and machines, for me, Honda/Yamaha reliability and product support is just up there over everything else.

Mine is mechanically stock, just some bearing grease added to the air filter neoprene that sits on the airbox for security and some 20 gram weights in the transmission for more range/mpg. I cannot see why the tuner would be mandatory? the thing pulls great all the way to the redline, perfect as it is IMO. I would also never get an aftermarket exhaust which would require a tuner, as they are all louder, which then disturb the people living near the trails, which brings the trails to be closed.

Registered
I have a '21 Grizzly and my brother in law bought a '21 KQ around the same time. I can tell you from riding both that the Grizzly feels just a touch more sporty/peppy to me. Both machines are running 27 inch square tire setups and are otherwise stock so its truly comparing apples to apples. Both are great machines, but I still feel like the grizzly is leader of the class for single cyl 4wd utility quads.

my two pennies.

-j-rod

Registered
2014/15 686cc and 2019-2022 686cc are the same exact engine. This engine mostly differs from the 2007-2013 686cc in the top end. In 2014 there is a new head, header pipe, forged piston and some other forged internals.

The 708cc engine, found in Grizzly/Kodiak 700s, was during 2016-2018. The going information is that the 708cc was made in combination with Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru) while the Yamaha plant that produced the 686cc was being repaired.
Do you know what the reasoning was for the header change?

I need to replace my 09 header and I didn't realize they were different until reading your post and looking up the parts... I'm wondering if I should replace the head too... Do you know if the valve train is different to account for the exhaust port changes?

Grizzled Moderator
Old header has two pipes, new header is a single pipe, they don't match. I would just try and find a 2007-2013 700/550 header pipe, cheaper and much easier.

Registered
Old header has two pipes, new header is a single pipe, they don't match. I would just try and find a 2007-2013 700/550 header pipe, cheaper and much easier.
Oh I know, I would consider installing the new head on it too. I just don't want to if the valve train is different. They must have gotten some improvement from changing the exhaust ports. Unless they saved money in manufacturing. There seems to be some other vacuum lines or something different as well.

Grizzled Moderator
14 is when the AIS was added. The ECU is most likely going to be different. The bottom end didn't change but I do not recall of hearing/reading of anyone replacing a pre-2014 head with a 2014 head. Seems some of the changes in 2014 were brought about by producing cleaner emissions but Yamaha's claim is 30% improvement in fuel mileage. Fueling had to change so is why I highly suspect an ECU change. A simple part lookup will confirm.

There is also reportedly a catalytic converter built into the front of the exhaust can now. When you look at the price of the 2014 exhaust can compared to 2013, the 2014 is over $100 more last I checked. Seems to reason that there is a catalytic converter in there now which drove up the price. There are also comments out there where someone said they opened one and confirmed the catalytic converter.

Reactions: Chicken Bone

Registered
14 is when the AIS was added. The ECU is most likely going to be different. The bottom end didn't change but I do not recall of hearing/reading of anyone replacing a pre-2014 head with a 2014 head. Seems some of the changes in 2014 were brought about by producing cleaner emissions but Yamaha's claim is 30% improvement in fuel mileage. Fueling had to change so is why I highly suspect an ECU change. A simple part lookup will confirm.

There is also reportedly a catalytic converter built into the front of the exhaust can now. When you look at the price of the 2014 exhaust can compared to 2013, the 2014 is over $100 more last I checked. Seems to reason that there is a catalytic converter in there now which drove up the price. There are also comments out there where someone said they opened one and confirmed the catalytic converter.
Also the 2014 686 received higher compression ratio vs 2013 . Not sure if that's a result of head design or piston shape

1 - 20 of 27 Posts