Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering a Grizzly or King Quad for 2019. I like a lot of the new features of the king quad, but it sounds like the suspension is very soft from the reviews I watched, that it maybe a deal breaker. However, the new Grizzly went back to the 686, which I like, but I really question the break on the grizzly. Seems like guys can't get more then 500 km's on them before they need to be changed.

Any thoughts on which direction I should go?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,512 Posts
Both are great machines. I’ve never heard complaints about brake life on the Griz and am up around 800 miles (sad, I know) on my machine. I hadn’t touched my brakes yet but they were squealing a bit on our last ride. With the engine braking on the Griz there’s probably more times I don’t use my brakes that do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like Okbear said, I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes. My '16 has 1,000 miles on it, and it's spent it's whole life, either in thick mud or in the gritty world of taconite mining roads turned into trails in northern MN. I still have lots of life left in them, even though I use them a lot. Have yet to touch them. Hope this helps with your decision:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Over 2.000 miles on the stock brake pads, still plenty of material left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like the King Quads.
It's when you can compare it directly side-by-side to a Grizzly that you discover the little things that make it seem cheap by comparison. The "bread box" rear hatch, cheap lights vs LED's on the Grizzly, the plastic front end, and just looking at the controls and the gauges it gives me a feeling of cheapness. The engines are strong and the transmissions are excellent. The rear brake system is maintenance free, and the warranty is better than the Yamaha, while the price is lower. If you look those things over and they suit you, you will be happy with the Zuk. I grew up with Yamahas so I had to stick with it. Had many Suzuki motorcycles which are excellent machines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2013 has about 8,500 miles on it. Last summer I bought new pads, pulled the wheels, saw how much of the pad was left on the old one, and put the wheels back on. I put the new pads on the shelf and might check them again at 12,000 miles. I wouldn't worry about the rumor about brakes.

MitGSX97

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I am not going to try and sway you either way. Both bikes are fantastic and you can't go wrong with either one.

I am just going to get the facts straight on the brakes.

The Grizzly 700 (made since 2007) has never had a premature or quick wearing brake issue reputation. People get thousands of miles between brake replacements. When people did have quick wearing brakes on the 700, it was almost always due to a lack of maintenance

The quick wearing brakes reputation came from the Grizzly 600 and Grizzly 660 models, and that was only from the mud riding crowd. Stay out of the mud and you'll get thousands of miles between changes on these models as well. And that's not opinion. That's facts. Ask the guys on here about it.

On my old Grizzly 600, I could go through a set of front brake pads in a weekend of mud riding. Less than 200 kilometers and they were metal on metal.....when I gave up the mud riding, I never changed a brake pad on that bike after.
On my 660, I have owned it over 6 years. Bought it used and I just changed the front brake pads last fall. And they were not metal on metal, they were just worn out.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I hadn't realized until this thread that the 2019 King Quads are actually updated, the most updates in about 10 years.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I hadn't realized until this thread that the 2019 King Quads are actually updated, the most updates in about 10 years.
Yup. Basically the King Quad is almost completely new for 2019, with a lot of very significant upgrades.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like the King Quads.
It's when you can compare it directly side-by-side to a Grizzly that you discover the little things that make it seem cheap by comparison. The "bread box" rear hatch, cheap lights vs LED's on the Grizzly, the plastic front end, and just looking at the controls and the gauges it gives me a feeling of cheapness. The engines are strong and the transmissions are excellent. The rear brake system is maintenance free, and the warranty is better than the Yamaha, while the price is lower. If you look those things over and they suit you, you will be happy with the Zuk. I grew up with Yamahas so I had to stick with it. Had many Suzuki motorcycles which are excellent machines.
I didn't either. The King Quad had a refresh in '17 and I just assumed it was all the same still. My comments were related to the '05 - '18 model year King Quad.

Looks like some good improvements. I'm going to check them out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know what type of riding the others are doing but I am on my 4th set of pads. I do a lot of mud and water riding. I have been trying to find a set that will stand up. I only had Yamaha pads until it went in for the first service. At that time it was metal on metal. I have just over 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I love Yamaha and my 2016 grizzly, but the new king for 2019 is sweet looking.
My only concern would be the EPS.
Fishers ATV world did a review video of the “press units” and he said the eps didn’t feel as strong as the olde models.
It’s supposed to be stronger.
I want stronger EPS.. I want Polaris (yes it said it. Lol) eps feeling... REAL Power steering. Steer with 2 fingers, steering.
A weaker system than the grizzly has would be unacceptable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I don't know what type of riding the others are doing but I am on my 4th set of pads. I do a lot of mud and water riding. I have been trying to find a set that will stand up. I only had Yamaha pads until it went in for the first service. At that time it was metal on metal. I have just over 800 miles on it.
If you really are doing a lot of mud riding, you really should get solid brake disks / rotors to save wear on your pads: https://www.race-driven.com/2011-2016-yamaha-yfm-700-grizzly-front-mudrat-brake-rotor-and-severe-duty-pads/ saw just the rotors were available for less $$ on ebay too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2014 King. Last year I got a 17 Grizz SE. I was actually trying to buy a King last year, but my dealer only had a 550 and the Grizz SE. When Suzuki took the headlight off, they pissed me off. I have 1300 miles on my Grizz and absolutely no issues. I'm glad I have the 708. I bought it because I had a 16 Wolverine Rspec with the same motor. I have sold the Wolvie because I have so much more fun on the quad and I have worn my wife out. She no longer wants to go. The King was great. The wet rear brake doesn't feel or act as good as the Grizz rear brake, but you will never wear one out. The King has great power and a tad more top end. Suzuki licensed the wet clutch system from Kawasaki and it's a good one. I still think the Yamaha Ultramatic is the best there is. When I need to replace the Grizz, I will go with another King strictly because of Yamaha going back to the old motor. Unless Yamaha puts the new 850 twin in a quad. That would have me running to my dealer...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im considering a Grizzly or King Quad for 2019. I like a lot of the new features of the king quad, but it sounds like the suspension is very soft from the reviews I watched, that it maybe a deal breaker. However, the new Grizzly went back to the 686, which I like, but I really question the break on the grizzly. Seems like guys can't get more then 500 km's on them before they need to be changed.

Any thoughts on which direction I should go?
It's a great predicament to be in, Grizzly or King Quad?
I was in the same position about 9 months ago and though I knew that I always wanted a Grizzly 700, I knew I couldn't ignore the 750 KQ.

Here is my take on both 2018 quads...
The KQ 750 has quieter & smoother engine, has a great seat, has a vertually maintenance free rear brake and can be had for less money and still have a longer warranty. I found that it didn't meet most of my needs and wants.
The Grizzly 708 engine is not as quiet or smooth and maybe the 686 will be better in that respect. From here on I think the grizzly shines. Grizzly has more storage, more user friendly steel racks, a better instrument panel, better headlamps/taillamps, very strong brakes, precise handling, great rider ergos, way better running boards and my seat of the pants riding tells me the grizzly is a smoother all day ride and in rough terrain.

The grizzly engine braking is just right, it won't throw you over the bars but it will hold you back on a hill. Low gear engine braking will hold back a large trailer load of firewood. I've only got 800+ km on my Grizzly right now but that's plowing snow, hauling firewood and I've just returned from a 255 km trip. Not much use I agree but the brakes are not showing any signs of wearing.

You can't go wrong with either of these quads, I'm very happy with my Grizzly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
same dilemma. I'm waiting on the dealers in my area to get both in stock so I can look at them and sit on them, hopefully go for a ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Checkout YouTube: 2019 Suzuki kingquad 750 axi review, the one by ATV scene's John Pellan and go to 7:20. Interesting review.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been looking at a new 2019 King Quad also. I did have one issue with the brakes on my 2016 Grizzly, the dealer said it was dirt (clay) packed in around the caliper. 2600 miles now, haven't needed any pads.

The top end on my Grizzly has been redone twice by Yamaha. Seems like I'm starting to oil again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 19 King is a really refined package, I've had mine about 6 months or so, also had an 08 that was an anvil of reliability, the new bike is just a little better everywhere, clutching is plenty snappy for 27's you dont need to do anything more than tires and adjust the bars and your done. It also runs cooler than the grizz probably due to mapping, but has the same AIS and CAT the grizz does. I really wouldnt mind buying another one but I'm going with a 20 grizz eps camo in a few weeks so the king will get a stablemate, I dont know how soon but I'm sure I'll be able to give a good opinion on how they compare, but I'll bet it wont be a winner or loser type thing they are both great bikes, just which one fits you better and feels better to you.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts