Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2019 grizzly 700, I was out riding trials with some buddy’s yesterday and about 20 mins into the ride I jumped a little bitty whoop and when I landed it sounded like I just hit 2 pots together and oil started running out the side over my belt cover. Pulled it back to the trailer, Got it back home and took the plastics off and oil is sprayed everywhere underneath. Any idea on what it could be ? They said it has a 6 month warranty and I’ve owned it 9 months so go figure. This is totally random, I’ve used all yamalube products since new. Kinda chaps my A** Seems it’s coming from down and behind the belt box. Any help would be great

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
Without pictures and more info like does it still start, drive in 2wd? Leaking out toward the back behind the CVT case you may have blown the middle drive gear and cracked the crank case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without pictures and more info like does it still start, drive in 2wd? Leaking out toward the back behind the CVT case you may have blown the middle drive gear and cracked the crank case.
Yes it still runs and drives, but blows smoke and oil out from somewhere in the middle of the bike. If I knew how to upload pics to hear I’d show you what it looks like from the outside. I’m gonna dig into it more this evening

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
Runs and drives is a big plus.
Did you lose the dipstick?

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,972 Posts
If I knew how to upload pics to hear I’d show you what it looks like from the outside.
Have the pictures on your computer or phone. At the bottom of this page in the reply box, click on the picture icon (circled in red). Drop the image in the box or click to navigate and chose your picture(s).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have the pictures on your computer or phone. At the bottom of this page in the reply box, click on the picture icon (circled in red). Drop the image in the box or click to navigate and chose your picture(s).

View attachment 100244

Im home now with the bike, before I dive into this how hard is it to take off the belt box, it appears to behind it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang... What did that?
no idea. I’m guessing the bearing or bushing that holds that gear tight is wore enough for it to bounce in that housing, so therefore when I landed a little bitty jump it came up and knocked a hole in it. Bike is 2 months out of warranty with less than 1000 miles.Was told the block is a split block so I could probably just buy the one side that is busted but I haven’t looked into it. Prolly not gonna be a cheap or easy fix.

·
Premium Member
2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
77 Posts
Bad JuJu.... sorry man... time for a new quad... IMHO

·
Registered
787 Posts
no idea. I’m guessing the bearing or bushing that holds that gear tight is wore enough for it to bounce in that housing, so therefore when I landed a little bitty jump it came up and knocked a hole in it. Bike is 2 months out of warranty with less than 1000 miles.Was told the block is a split block so I could probably just buy the one side that is busted but I haven’t looked into it. Prolly not gonna be a cheap or easy fix.
You said you used all yahaha lube products..... Do you still have receipts or a way to get copies to proove that? That engine has a 20 year/100k mile/5000hr warranty provided you registered with yamalube advantage when new.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Holy crap

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
Classis middle gear failure. Some older models had that issue. First I've heard of a newer model.
The housing bearing part # 1 was the weak spot.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
245 Posts
Ouch. Thats real disappointing, especially (of course) right outside of warranty.

I've heard a couple stories where dealers have fixed machines for free/greatly reduced cost in situations like yours though.. it may be worth inquiring about.

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
Just remembered that Weller Racing was offering an improved middle gear plate. I don't know if they ever made one for the 700's

Reactions: Vincenthdfan

·
Registered
92 Posts
First, that really sucks! Sorry you have to deal with that! I personally would be contacting your dealer and Yamaha to open a claim before you go any further. I know its out of warranty, but it never hurts to make some calls and see what can be done. This obviously shouldn't happen on a newer quad. If you have all your receipts and history on the bike then maybe you have some type of a claim. Take a ton of pics. I wouldn't remove anything major until you talk to someone. If this is a failure that is going to plague newer quads then it should be documented.
The worst that can happen is they say no, then your back where you started. Just my 2 Cents.

Reactions: wgc and 85Aluma
1 - 20 of 24 Posts