Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up Grizzly after rebuild , now break in engine . Want to thank everyone who gave me direction to getting this resolved . Especially REOGEM !

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
@85Aluma ...Thank you.
Did you take it to Haucks?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@85Aluma ...Thank you.
Did you take it to Haucks?
Yes , they did the rebuild . Matt said he talked with you a while ago . He said dump the oil and filter in 100 to 200 miles . After break in . Im a slow poke when it comes to putting miles on , looks like i will have to ride the darn thing some before winter :) When they did yours do you remember if they replaced valve seat,s ? Or has this been the problem along (ring,s) ? Happen to read the post where the guy said to make sure dealer replaces valve seals even though Yamaha would not pay for them . As long as it's not burning oil don,t know if that is necessary .

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
If you ride slow, or do a lot of idling, consider 10 m.p.h. average use.
So after 10 hours and not 100 miles to change the oil.

Reactions: 85Aluma

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you ride slow, or do a lot of idling, consider 10 m.p.h. average use.
So after 10 hours and not 100 miles to change the oil.
Took it out tonight and put maybe ten miles on up to 35 mph and average 20 . I had 170 hours with 700 miles . So quite a bit of idle time . Gonna try and get some more time onit at 15 to 40 mph . Tech told me just to not run it wide open and vary the rpms. He also said early on they were replacing valve seats and or guides . But that was not the problem it was the soft ring . All they have rebuilt with top end kit did not burn oil after the fact .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going back to dealer on Monday . Put 50 miles on after rebuild and its smoking real bad at startup ? Dealer assured me they would take care of it . Just gives me that funny feeling in my gut ! Sure hoping it gets straightened out .

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Shitty....

·
Grizzled
3,619 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don't know what year yours is but if it's a 16-18 they need to replace the cylinder. That and the rings is the problem with those engines. Been there done that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know what year yours is but if it's a 16-18 they need to replace the cylinder. That and the rings is the problem with those engines. Been there done that.
Thats what they did . Got it back and was told to treat it like a new engine and break in . Sits overnight then on start up it smokes like a banshee ! Its a 16 with 700 miles on it .

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Thats what they did . Got it back and was told to treat it like a new engine and break in . Sits overnight then on start up it smokes like a banshee ! Its a 16 with 700 miles on it .
You would think your dealer after doing a top end would test to make sure your engine was working properly before releasing even if it took accouple more days, it almost seems like they did nothing, who ever did the mechanic work on your motor at their dealer I wouldn't trust repairing a wheel barrel, something was put together wrong or they cheaped out not replacing all the parts, or the parts they used was defective also, they didn't even check to make sure.

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
In most cases warranty work cost is shared by the manufacture and the dealer, so they cut corners every chance they get, as you now know. Most dealer parts changers hate to work on warranty stuff.
Did you know it is still under warranty? :)
Turn in another warranty claim like you know what you are doing and watch the $hit hit the fan.....both the poooo and the dollars.
If it takes a couple dozen trip back to the shop for tear down, they will get it right eventually.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In all fairness they were the only dealer who stepped up to address the smoking issue . The dealer i bought it from completely blew me off ! I asked the original dealer if they new of a service bulletin on the Grizzly and said they never heard of one . So i'm hoping the new dealer gets it resolved .

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
Do another claim, to keep the problem reported.

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
It's to create a $hitstorm before contacting Yamaha USA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts