Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have other posts about problems I’ve had getting my Griz running . After all the things I’ve done to get spark I replaced a stator that OHMd ok with a new stator with pickup coil and it started but backfired and ran terrible ! I replaced the cdi (capacitor swelled) with a used cdi and it burnt it up capacitor swollen ! I took wire harness off and checked it for bare wires and it was good ! Is it possible and would it burn the cdi if the new stator I installed (it started with this stator) was putting out too much AC voltage ? Did a top end rebuild also but engine was really ok !

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Bare wire is one thing, but split insulation can also be a problem. If you have a ground, and the wiring on the bike, a simple ohm test can find the grounded wire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked every wire with my Fluke . I have another used cdi coming and I don’t know if any more used ones out there ! Not paying $250-$400 for a new one I will do the Chinese hack !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still waiting for CDI and starter bendix so I decided to check wiring again ! I found that the B/W ground (goes to cdi) had voltage with key on . Started stripping wire harness and had at least 1 bare hot wire just before the harness makes the bend toward the rear of atv . Inside of harness up front was plenty moist and dirty . Debating now whether to repair this harness or find another . Pretty sure the ground being fed voltage is what blew the 2 CDIs !!

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
Cut and splice, and seal to ride on :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Sir plan on splicing a couple places . There are like 3-4 brown hot wires that are spliced into 1 larger brown that are crusty and a w/g thats bared . Found another harness from Kentucky which I might get because I had spiced all wires that go into the larger cdi connection .

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yes Sir plan on splicing a couple places . There are like 3-4 brown hot wires that are spliced into 1 larger brown that are crusty and a w/g thats bared . Found another harness from Kentucky which I might get because I had spiced all wires that go into the larger cdi connection .
Get her done chum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts