Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to run these tires and have been doing a bunch of research on them . The one negative I see occasionally is they do not do well in reverse, but no one elaborates on this. So my question is , how poorly do they do in reverse ? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Never seem to have any problems. Haven't got stuck in mud ever and I take it through somewhat nasty stuff They don't grab as good in reverse as for most "mud tires" I've had

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree with Levi, I put some 28's on about a month ago, and haven't had anything but good things come from them. My theory is, if you have lost enough momentum that you can't keep going forward, it's already hopeless to go in reverse, I don't care what kind of tire you're spinning, lol. I've been very impressed with what I can get through in just two wheel drive, where as my stock tires would have struggled in 4.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I personally would not, but that decision is up to you:)

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
What type of riding do you typically do? One negative I’ve heard on zillas is that they are a soft compound. Do you ride on paved roads to get to the trails? If so, they won’t have great longevity. If you are a trail rider, there’s other tires out there that will work better for you IMO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What type of riding do you typically do? One negative I’ve heard on zillas is that they are a soft compound. Do you ride on paved roads to get to the trails? If so, they won’t have great longevity. If you are a trail rider, there’s other tires out there that will work better for you IMO.
Very little paved roads, so not concerned with wear. We ride- muddy, rocky trails with lots of mud holes, I run 26 inch kenda bear claws now and some holes I have to go around, they are dug out and I high center on them . I am looking at running 28’s or might do 30’s as I see they run small.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
Very little paved roads, so not concerned with wear. We ride- muddy, rocky trails with lots of mud holes, I run 26 inch kenda bear claws now and some holes I have to go around, they are dug out and I high center on them . I am looking at running 28’s or might do 30’s as I see they run small.
The zillas should work well for you. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think they're great tires. My experience with them is limited, as I swapped them out after a couple rides with a more all around tire. From what I have ridden on them, I think they did well. I crawled through a mud hole with my 27" Zillas in 2wd, after my uncle struggled somewhat in 4wd on his Rincon with 26" Mudlite XL's. I was impressed, to say the least. As far as reverse traction, it doesn't look to be as good as the foreword pattern, but if it comes down to that small detail in the mud, you were probably going to get stuck anyway. Which reminds me, I still need to buy a winch, lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Never really tried reverse too much. A buddy of mine has them on his 2016 kodiak. For the most part they do okay. He goes everywhere I go with my grizzly on terms, he may just have to use 4wd. Now you wanna know how they work for him if he tries to back up in mud....we’ll if he can’t go forward anymore he is usually to far in the hole that reverse doesn’t help him much, but that can be said for a lot of tires. This is where the winch and your buddies come into play. I like how light zillas are making them easy to spin however they don’t seem to measure true to size. My buddy has 28’s on 12 inch rims and his measure 26 1/4 roughly .

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've got 28" zillas on a 660 and 30" wild thangs (very similar) on a 17 and love them both. Mud, creek, sand, riding is what we do and love that they're light weight and really pull through just about anything that I put them through. I'm not easy on them either. I've never had any issue with them in reverse unless I'm already sitting on the frame and that would be with any tire. I think you will love them, they do run a little smaller than advertised like others have mentioned.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got 28" zillas on a 660 and 30" wild thangs (very similar) on a 17 and love them both. Mud, creek, sand, riding is what we do and love that they're light weight and really pull through just about anything that I put them through. I'm not easy on them either. I've never had any issue with them in reverse unless I'm already sitting on the frame and that would be with any tire. I think you will love them, they do run a little smaller than advertised like others have mentioned.
Venom
How true to size do the wild thangs run? , From reviews I have read they seem to run more true to size and possible a little bit thicker ply’s for better puncture resistance. For only a few lbs more .

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like a tire true to size. When I order a tire if I'm going from a stock 25 or 26 inch tire to say a 28 inch I'm thinking more ground clearance. Hey this tire is 3 inches bigger, so I should get 1.5 inches more and yes I do realize the tread wears down so i will lose some of what i gained. In a 28 12 inch tire they are almost identical in weight and tread depth. I would probably look at my rim size if I had 12 inch rims then I know I cant go past a 28, unless you are wanting to buy new rims. Aftermarket rims are nice and flashy, but for me they just get covered with mud and scratched up. I say chose the cheaper tire option, don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Venom
How true to size do the wild thangs run? , From reviews I have read they seem to run more true to size and possible a little bit thicker ply’s for better puncture resistance. For only a few lbs more .

My wild thangs were darn near dead on. When I decided on them I was coming from a set of mudlites that had a ton of plugs in them and that was a deciding factor for the thicker plys as well. I would purchase them again if was needing tires. Actually have a friend of mine that is running the 30x9s and likes them a lot as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree with Levi, I put some 28's on about a month ago, and haven't had anything but good things come from them. My theory is, if you have lost enough momentum that you can't keep going forward, it's already hopeless to go in reverse, I don't care what kind of tire you're spinning, lol. I've been very impressed with what I can get through in just two wheel drive, where as my stock tires would have struggled in 4.

Ditto that, momentum is your friend!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My only complaint about my zilla's is the gap or cutout they have in the top of the lugs. I realize they put it there to help the edges flex, but I run a lot of gravel roads and the gap is the perfect size to trap rocks and then fling them everywhere at speed. Running down the road at 40-50 mph I've had them fling out forward off the front tires and then I catch up to them and they hit me. Kind of annoying. People right behind you back off pretty quick lol. I actually can't wait for them to wear down far enough that the gap won't trap rocks anymore. That's the only thing I'd change about them honestly.

As far as traction, I don't run a lot of mud but do play in the snow quite a bit. They surprised me in the snow, I thought they would just dig hard and leave me high centered but they actually keep me on top of the snow pretty good. Night and day better than the stockers that were on it. I generally will run in 4wd, high or low depending on the snow, but without the diff-lock in so that when I get stopped going forward I can then lock the front diff in to reverse. Most times it will let me back up a ways in my track so I can take it out of diff-lock and then hit it again. I honestly can say I haven't even noticed that they perform poorly in reverse. There have been times when there was no going forward without locking the diff, putting it in low, and then holding the override and going for it. When you get stuck like that you're normally going to be shoveling/winching to get going again. I have on occasion been able to rock side to side aggressively to get it to reverse after getting stopped with diff-lock in, but snow is a different beast than mud. I'm certainly not disappointed in them at all and would buy them again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I love my Zilla's, I haven't had them very long but no complaints. Glad to hear they work good in the snow, that is what I was hoping for this winter when I start plowing. As far as longevity I saw a you tube video just before I bought them where they took a measurement of the tread depth after 3000+ miles on their Zillas and they had very minimal wear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Had them on my grizz for over a yr now i like them so far a few things they launch rocks like bullets to people behind you sometimes. Did it to my brother tar not so much get the death wobble from my exp and they do leave good burnt out marks in the driveway. Dumb idea i am a big teenager sometimes and just dont think

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed this past winter as the stock tires sucked on snow especially for plowing. However in the sandy conditions and gravel roads, which are everywhere, it feels like the ass end wants to overcome the front. So I get a wobbly ride and it is annoying always correcting my line.

Is this normal or do I have some toe in issues?

16 Brute Force 750

1 - 20 of 35 Posts