Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be headed for Ashland Resort at the end of this month. I've never been before so wondering if there are any must do things. It will be me and my wife for 6 days. After my 6 days at Hatfield I'll be headed to Windrock for 2 days for a St. Jude's benefit ride on April 8th. If anyone wants to go let me know.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
My advice for you and your wife are to cancel Ashland and rebook in Gilbert at Twin Hollows Campground. Amenities are scarce around Ashland unless you know where you are going and Twin Hollows is always recommended for first trips to H/M.
If you're committed to Ashland let us know and I'll put together a list of food/gas spots outside of the campground in Bramwell, Mullens, Pineville, and Keystone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll call this morning and see if they have a cabin available for my dates.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I'm stuck with Ashland. The only place I found in Gilbert that has a room for half my dates is Abb's Inn. Is it worth it to stay in one place a few days then move?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Like hammer said, there isn't much around Ashland, so make sure you bring everything you need. Ashland has nice accommodations, you won't be dissapointed. The connector trail between Indian Ridge and pinnacle Creek is a great ride.
There is a great trail on the outlaw system that starts at pinnacle Creek camp ground just down the road from riders paradise. We call it the river trail, took the wife on it last year and she loved it. I used a couple GPS tracking programs last year, one on my phone and one on my camera, I will try to up load them tonight.

The Hatfield trails are mostly tame (in difficulty) compaired to windrock. I would stay away from the double black diamonds, unless you don't like your wife

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: RipSteele

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like hammer said, there isn't much around Ashland, so make sure you bring everything you need. Ashland has nice accommodations, you won't be dissapointed. The connector trail between Indian Ridge and pinnacle Creek is a great ride.
There is a great trail on the outlaw system that starts at pinnacle Creek camp ground just down the road from riders paradise. We call it the river trail, took the wife on it last year and she loved it. I used a couple GPS tracking programs last year, one on my phone and one on my camera, I will try to up load them tonight.

The Hatfield trails are mostly tame (in difficulty) compaired to windrock. I would stay away from the double black diamonds, unless you don't like your wife

Me and hammerhead talked on the phone for a bit the other day. He gave me some insight on eating joints and gas stations. He also said avoid the double black. I might trailer up to rock house trails one day. If you can give me a little more detail on that River trail I'll ride it

·
Registered
297 Posts
well this is the best i can do, GC doesnt allow KML files. so it looks like my phone quit recording about half way down the trail. if hammer sees this map, i am sure he knows exactly where this trail is at. This trail is what takes you to beer can alley.

here is the same map with a few land mark call outs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhk96iozu4a0s64/Doc1.docx?dl=0

so there are a bunch of good trails over that way budded "the outlaw trails". the only that sucks is its about 10miles on paved roads. these trails arent marked but there are signs all over the place pointing you back to wagon wheel and ziggy's which are all by pinnacle creek camp ground.

there is another way to get there, it involves taking the connector trail from indian river and when you hit the coal road take a right, but there is a little more too it. i am sure if you are there for 6 days you will have plenty of time to go exploring.

i am by no means a expert on the area but we have stayed at ashland 3 times in the last 2 years and learn the basic lay of the land. if you have any other questions i will be glad to answer what i can.

if you end up going over to Rock house let me know what you think. we are headed down there in 6 weeks or so. it will be our first time to that section of the hatfield tail system.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip and yes I'm jealous Hatfield McCoy's and Windrock are definitely on my bucket list. Let us know how you like them both when you get back. Have fun and be safe!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is the River trail you are mentioning the one that starts (or ends) at the bottom of the "stair step"? If so you can get to it by one of the trails off of the Indian Ridge trails. It goes right by the "Hilltop Escape" where we used to stay all the time. If you get a chance to stop in there the little Grill Rodger and Carol ran had the ******* Burger challenge. If you can eat it all, the fries, and the drink you get your pic up on the wall!

Anyhow, if you can find Hilltop Escape and head towards the stair step (almost anyone near there can give you directions to it) you will come to a natural gas pumping station just off the trail, take a right at the first fork (heading towards stair step) and you got down to "soggy Bottoms" where there were a bunch of good mud holes etc. If you keep straight you eventually get to the stair step at the top (metal guard rail to your right). Keep straight and follow the trail around to the right to bypass the stair step and once you get to the bottom the river trail I'm familiar with is the trail going into a stream on the left. Follow that until you pop out and keep heading the same direction and you will go through Twin Hollows camp ground near the Wagon Wheel. I wish I could go with and show you the outlaw trails I know, its super hard to give directions when there are no trail markers or anything! LOL. I know a pretty good trail that leads to the opening of an old abandoned mine also.

If you stay at Ashland resort and want to bypass the HM trails to get to hilltop take a left out of ashland (paved road but much shorter way to get to the outlaw trails), follow it until you get to a really sharp left hand curve and on your left you should see a little white store. Not sure if it is still open or not but they used to sell pizza, beer, and other convenience stuff. There is a paved road that leads up the hill right next to the little white store, follow it until you see the signs for Hilltop Escape on your left and follow it to the end. There are a few trailers up there and a big white two story farmhouse. The entrance to the trails was just past the grill on your left. Get out on the trail and take a right to go the direction of the stair steps.

I hope those help but man it really is hard to give directions to stuff that you can only find from memory! LOL. There used to be a campground somewhere around there that sold handwritten maps for a dollar to all sorts of stuff like the playground (spooky old looking playground in the middle of nothing!), the train tressels where you could ride for about a mile on the bridge to a long tunnel, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/...847eafe400c23b!2m2!1d-81.3134391!2d37.4246883

Im not sure if that link helps or not but you can compare it to TrueBlues map and see about where it is. looks like it might be just to the left of 13/3 on TrueBlues map. Hope that helps, if it doesn't sorry to be confusing!

Also, looking at the trail map of Indian Ridge it looks like trail 93 might take you right by hilltop.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Brown, could you view my Dropbox map? I labeled a bunch check of stuff on it but wasn't sure if it would work or view/open properly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
TB, yeah I can open it, just won't let me zoom in AND scroll around so it zooms directly to the middle and won't let me see anything else if I get too far in. That is definitely awesome though!

·
Registered
297 Posts
but to answer your question Brown. the one we call the "river trail' starts right as you go thru pinnacle creek camp ground. there will be a bunch of mud holes on the right just as you come out of the camp ground. about a mile down there is a trail the goes off to the left, i think the sign that hangs there says Lions atv, if you go up the trail it dumps you out on to the coal roads. if you stay to the right, you will come to a couple decent sized river/creek crossings, and the then you can ride right down the creek here is a picture from that creek bed (i have no idea if this will help or not).

i know that rider's paradise sells maps of the out law trails, the first year we bought one and it left a lot to be desired. when we were there last year, we talked to the owner of the wagon wheel and he had a satellite view style map that was all marked up and was much better. the only down side is that he wasnt sure if they were selling that copy yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
well thats goo to know. lets try a screen shot of my word doc and see how that turns out.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
That one works too, just a very minimal zoom but I can see all the markers you put down. I'd probably stay away from the blacktop for that distance especially if I could get there via trails. Unless the red lines are trails! LOL I can't tell from the pic. Many good trails up there. I learned most of mine from riding my original Honda Rancher GPScape, it was a simple waypoint direction GPS with a pointer so it got a little difficult at times!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Up until the cap ground it is all black top, we never found a different way to get there.

There is a trail that leads to an abandoned mine just before you get to wagon wheel on the black top. You hang a right at the building with the metal red roof and if memory serves me correct you keep to the right a couple of times and it is down 2 miles or so

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gotcha, we never rode the blacktop unless we went into towns to get gas or beers while finding all the stuff. Short jaunts to connector trails but nothing too long. Trail 93 off Indian Ridge looks to get folks to the split off for the outlaw trails, I'm sure there is a sign posted near it. Maybe the occasional dirt road near the wagon wheel if you had to get somewhere a little faster. And I think that abandoned mine is behind the wagon wheel a few miles of trails away. It had a "crater" looking pool right in front of it that was pretty deep the last time I was there, but it has been several years and things change a lot. Riders Paradise may have been the place with the hand drawn maps I had. I'll try to see if I still have one and I'll scan it in and upload it if I do.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is wagon wheel a trail or store?

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
All of the things we have talked about minus the stairs steps are buildings or stores.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts