Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 2012 grizzly 550 and noticed that the header pipes started glowing after a few minutes of riding. is this normal and if not any suggestions on what to check for

·
Registered
44 Posts
NO THIS IS NOT NORMAL NOR GOOD. Check for fuel problem... Glowing exhaust means hot combustion temps. You are running very lean

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
The 550 is fuel injected I believe but does sound like it's running lean , if the exhaust and/or air intake has been changed without a fuel programmer could cause a lean condition. Pull the plug and if it's whitish looking then it's running lean for sure.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
No carb, E.F.I. on 550.
Slow riding?
I suggest checking the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh wow I read yours thinking mine. Grizzly 660... Sorry. But yes lean mixture causes excessive heat. Sorry I can't really help with EFI... I've never ran stock tune on them. I hate factory tunes. They always run a little lean but it shouldn't be glowing your pipe..

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the bike from a friend and it had been wrecked. i put it back together and know for sure that it definitely does not have any kind of programmer or mods on it. i will check plug later today to see if it is running lean. thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Glowing pipe isn't uncommon, but usually on newer 700's.

Since it was wrecked, I would check for a leak at the head on the exhaust pipe, constricted pipe, intake/vacuum leak first. Sometimes damage happens where it's not expected.

Checking valves should probably be done anyway, so definitely do that.

How does it run?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Fwiw
My 2009 550 is stock and the headers glow orange once warmed up and just cruising.I can only see it during evenings and night time. ( low light)
Pritty sure my buddies 2009 700 also stock does the samething.
Both quads have around 4000 miles, are in excellent condition and run well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the spark plug today and it shows no sigh of running lean. the bike runs great starts right up, idles great,and no hesitation when on the throttle. i did replace the head pipe but with a new one when i was putting it back together. i also checked for any intake leaks today by spraying carb cleaner around everything while it was running and it never idled up. anyone know the valve clearances for both intake and exhaust valves that is the only thing i haven't checked. after all the work i put in i would like to be sure its right before i burn a valve or worse. thanks again for every ones help

·
Registered
795 Posts
Glowing orange or red fairly common, mostly seen at night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 kodiak 700 exhaust pipe runs bright red right out of the block at idle. only took about 2 minutes if that. Any suggestions on what I need to do or is this normal for Yamaha's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
2018 kodiak 700 exhaust pipe runs bright red right out of the block at idle. only took about 2 minutes if that. Any suggestions on what I need to do or is this normal for Yamaha's.
Yep on the 16’s up grizzly / kodiaks they are very lean running from the factory. I just installed EHS racing fuel tunner on mine and my wife’s kodiaks. I could tell the difference right away. They are $210 but very worth it

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
514 Posts
I have a 2017 Kodiak 700 and the exhaust pipe has never been red hot. This is same motor as yours. Try doing the AIS delete modification that many have done on this forum. Do some searching here for that. Basically you just need to block the air hose that runs from the front air box Left side down to where the exhaust Pipe is attached to the cylinder head. This makes the exhaust run hotter and leaner for less air pollution. Many guy’s here have done this with good success.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
The older bikes like mine could show glowing red at night, but not during the day and over time as mud caked to the pipe this glowing was much less seen.
Then in the last few years the a/f ratio was leaned out to meet emissions requirements and some see this during the day. The EHS fuel tuner allows the settings to be changed. Call Eric, he'll visit with you and have your's set for your conditions out of the box, or it will be very close to what you need. He is recognized for great customer service.
Start a new thread and keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts