Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Yamaha Grizzly EPS SE, was wondering the deepest water I can go through.

Also what speeds should I drive at while breaking it in.

Tks appreciate the help
Reboot123

Reactions: Grumpy

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Hi from Spain and enjoy the new toy!

First 100 miles don't go more than half on the gas. Then between 100 and 200 miles, 3/4 of gas. After you can go full gas.

Water depth in the manual says 14 inch but I think the air intake is higher than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
There's different schools of thought on that. A break in by the book is better for reliability. A hard break in is better for performance. I say to ride it like you're gonna ride it.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Congratulations and have fun! Just don't go wide open until the break in period is over... it's all in your manual. :deal:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Congrats, welcome to GC

·
Registered
33 Posts
As posted elsewhere, my buddy & I got in our first 14 miles towards break-in last Friday on local trails. Kept modulating the throttle to avoid single rpm range, which was easy in the terrain we rode. This coming Tuesday, we'll tow to higher elevation and ride planned 35 miles around Rim Country lakes area, which will get us halfway towards completing break-in mileage. A fun day is ahead!

Question remains what to expect during break-in on mpg and tank range, with ring(s) still seating and internal friction surfaces mating. Conservatively, ~ 20mpg x 4.76gal max capacity seems sufficient without refueling? I will eventually buy 1-2 stackable Rotopax jugs but do have 10L mil-spec MFC jug stored in RubberMaid ActionPacker tote (shown below) that I could strap to the front rack. My buddy says, not needed this next trip. Hope he's right...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have a 2017 Yamaha Grizzly EPS SE, was wondering the deepest water I can go through.
I regularly drive my bike threw about 30" deep waters. If I remember it's about 2" below the lowest part of my seat. For me that's deep enough, others do go deeper without issue. That said, always proceed with caution, misfortunes do happen quickly.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
As posted elsewhere, my buddy & I got in our first 14 miles towards break-in last Friday on local trails. Kept modulating the throttle to avoid single rpm range, which was easy in the terrain we rode. This coming Tuesday, we'll tow to higher elevation and ride planned 35 miles around Rim Country lakes area, which will get us halfway towards completing break-in mileage. A fun day is ahead!

Question remains what to expect during break-in on mpg and tank range, with ring(s) still seating and internal friction surfaces mating. Conservatively, ~ 20mpg x 4.76gal max capacity seems sufficient without refueling? I will eventually buy 1-2 stackable Rotopax jugs but do have 10L mil-spec MFC jug stored in RubberMaid ActionPacker tote (shown below) that I could strap to the front rack. My buddy says, not needed this next trip. Hope he's right...

I can do up to 90 miles with a full tank.

I also have a jerrycan just in case I get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
724 Posts
For water depth....safe bet would be over the tires......however, you can go to just below seat height as the air intake is just for of in between your legs.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to GC, from Maine.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts

It all depends on how you ride. Fill your can up and haul it with ya. Better to have too much than not enough.

·
Registered
724 Posts

When I first purchased my machine I was wondering the same thing.......will I run out of fuel while out somewhere and be stranded????

The first time I went out on it, I took 2 five gallon gas cans with me and rode for four hours...didn't touch the cans and used only half a tank in the machine. I would say, unless you are planning on going beyond 80-90 miles a day you will not need fuel. Trail riding for 80-90 miles is a good 7+ hour day unless you are going 50+ mph.

·
Registered
33 Posts
^^^ Agreed, based-on today's run at higher elevations. We topped off our bikes on the way out of town (trailered) and at same station as we re-entered town. Run was a 31.1 mile loop (trip odo reset upon departure) with no 4WD or locker needed this time (unlike last Friday on more local trails). All of that in high range, other than turning around in tight quarters a few times using low range). Continuously varied speeds and rpms, with top speed (for me) not exceeding 32-33 mpg a few times. Refueling took 1.117G to same point as this morning, calculated as 29.66 mpg on engine with now total of 48 miles. As break-in progresses, seems that number will improve.

As a plug for my local Rim Country, plenty of FS trails surround my town. Head prox 30 mins east (or north) and you'll be in the heart of World's Largest Ponderosa Pine Forest featuring several man-made lakes (rock/earth berm dams) offering plentiful recreation opportunities. We left our quads and hiked a short ways in to one of those (Bear Cyn Lake) this morning. So very pretty...

One simple little mod I'll use the search function looking for is an ergo-style throttle control (cushioned but not necessarily extended) due to my hand arthritis. Hey, I'm 70 after all. Aging does take a toll.

We cut the day at planned time and distance, also with consideration of approaching Monsoon storms. Those are dumping on trails we ran earlier today and approaching town right now.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,661 Posts
One simple little mod I'll use the search function looking for is an ergo-style throttle control (cushioned but not necessarily extended) due to my hand arthritis.
Ping user @wgc as he uses a twist throttle like on a MX bike. He hates thumb throttles. FYI, he may be out-of-town and as far as I know, will need to be home to get on GC... i.e. slow to reply.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
One simple little mod I'll use the search function looking for is an ergo-style throttle control (cushioned but not necessarily extended) due to my hand arthritis. Hey, I'm 70 after all. Aging does take a toll
Check this out....
It's not available for Yamaha yet, though. I'll be first in line when it is due to thumb issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One aspect (of several) that swayed me towards buying a new Yamaha brand ATV are dual handlebar brake levers missing on some other brands. This, after 45+ continuous ownership of street motos including long list of Yamahas. On a quad - especially 700cc class such as Grizz - seems thumb throttle vs moto twist-style better suited for safety? Although I prefer the moto-style function, thinking I'll leave my throttle controls OEM stock.

Using forum search function, I did find and read the thread on DXTrigger throttle control, noting that fitment for Yamaha still has not been released nearly a year after that thread posted. Also noted comments on advising hand guards with such a device as well as potential issues from operator error in certain situations.

Search results captured one post suggesting a short section of automotive heater hose simply be slipped over the throttle thumb lever, with no other modifications. Seems cheap enough to try, although I don't mind throwing $$ at a better overall solution...

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
FYI- You can get motorcycle type throttles from https://www.motionpro.com/. If they don't have one for your model call them up, they do a lot of custom stuff at a reasonable price. You'll also need a relocating mount for the 4WD switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts