Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding the grizz today and went through a tunnel and noticed that the front headlights arent very bright even with high beams on. They are just the stock bulbs. Any recommended replacement bulbs that any of you have tried? I am more interested in plug and play. Want to avoid mods if possible.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Add a proper light bar. New bulbs don't add enough. Check out baja designs.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Rigid Industries! Best lights for off road made!
I have D2's (Driving Pattern) on my Grizzly, VERY bright! 3,030 raw lumens of light!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
New bulbs like silverstars (i think is the name) will help but not a ton. Best thing would be a light bar or some cubes. If you like nice things and have the funds I'd do rigid cubes / d2's. I prefer flood beam over spot beam or a combination of both. Not much really needs modified to run them.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Rigid has a great reputation, but Totron is 90-100% the light for 1/3 the cost. I have both.

Also, don't let the yellow of the stock light fool you, it is good light.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought some led bulbs off Amazon made by sucool. Make no mistake, they are bright. However, they are only bright enough to drive with on high beam, there is no change in beam, and there is no beam to begin with. The light scatters EVERYWHERE. For example, if I am sitting 60 yards from an oak tree, on high beam, they light up the top of the tree just as much as the trunk. The reflectors just don't focus them. Because of this, they would make great forward area lighting like we had on the humvees for road blocks, but seeing past 80 yards riding at nightisn't going to happen. I like them though, I think I will keep them and get a spot beam lightbar.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have LED H4 lights in the stock headlights on my Grizzly. They work really great and are much brighter than the original halogen (not really a hard thing to beat). The low beam is really good and really good focal with a perfect beam pattern. I guess the high beam on those bulbs work great to, but I think my 120 watt LED bar over power the H4 LEDs. I can recommend them and no modification is needed of the housing.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Weldion, Can you post the part number & brand and a link to show us the bulb you are using?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Weldion, Can you post the part number & brand and a link to show us the bulb you are using?
That's everything I have about it. Bought it at ebay.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I installed the Cree LED 80W bulb replacements. I am very happy with them.
They are brighter but lack a directional beam as mentioned earlier. However i like the wide beam as it allows me to see both sides in front of me for approaching deer.
Got them from Amazon.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I have LED H4 lights in the stock headlights on my Grizzly. They work really great and are much brighter than the original halogen (not really a hard thing to beat). The low beam is really good and really good focal with a perfect beam pattern. I guess the high beam on those bulbs work great to, but I think my 120 watt LED bar over power the H4 LEDs. I can recommend them and no modification is needed of the housing.

ohh man. that looks like something i want! any idea where you got them? ebay? know who the ebay seller was? trying to search ebay for "h4 led" brings up a few million products!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
ohh man. that looks like something i want! any idea where you got them? ebay? know who the ebay seller was? trying to search ebay for "h4 led" brings up a few million products!!!
This is the seller I got them from led-lights-leader | eBay and that is what he sells now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just installed a Rigid Industries 91061 SR2 10" Driving Light.

After I first installed it, I was in the garage (some ambient lighting). I turned it on and said, "Meh ... it is OK" comparing it to the stock lights.

But that was because there was a decent amount of light in the garage.

Once it was dark outside, I pulled it outside next to the garage. it's about 150' to the end of my driveway. Across the street is my buddy's house - he's on 1 acre like me.

So I turn on the OEM lights. Horribly bad. Even with the high beams on, I could barely illuminate halfway down my own driveway. And it was a very narrow beam.

When I hit the switch for my new Rigid light ... HOLY SHEET!!

That light lit everything up like it was DAYTIME!

Bright as hell, lit up everything in my across-the-street neighbor's yard (the entire house, vehicles and his 1 acre) PLUS half the house to the left of HIS house!

Suffice it to say, when the Rigid light is on, the only way you can tell that the OEM lights are on are because they just *barely* throw some light out to each side, essentially within 5-6-7 feet of the front of the ATV to each side.

All that out of a 15-LED, 10" single row light bar -- puts out 5,625 raw lumens at only 56.25 watts.

rigid_1.JPG

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
i agree with atvbob... the led light bars are insane. rather than spend 60, 40, or even 30 dollars on upgrading yoru bulbs, id save the money and spend $60-$100 on a 6" or 12" light bar. doesnt matter what bulb you have in the stock housing... you wont be able to see it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I went out and took some photos of my LED headlights + LED bar.

First with the low beam LED.

High beam LED.

High beam LED + LED bar.

All three pictures with the camera in manual with the same settings. Distance between the ATV and the barn is about 150 meter.

In the end I'm very pleased with the LED H4 bulbs and I think they are better than the original halogen. But my LED bar beats them all. So get both!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
do the h4 leds fit completely in the oem housing? aka, does the waterproof boot fit over them?

even if they are close to the same brightness as stock, itd be great to have a low draw light to keep on during day riding as well.

final question... is the low beam enough of a low beam pattern that it wouldnt blind oncoming traffic? it looks like it in the pictures.

·
Registered
162 Posts
do the h4 leds fit completely in the oem housing? aka, does the waterproof boot fit over them?

even if they are close to the same brightness as stock, itd be great to have a low draw light to keep on during day riding as well.

final question... is the low beam enough of a low beam pattern that it wouldnt blind oncoming traffic? it looks like it in the pictures.
They are double the power of the stock light. I have the same bulb in my Yamaha Nytro and it's better than the stock in that to. Yeah, they fit in the original housing. All I have done is to fit a zip tie around the waterproof boot to secure them so there is no chance for any water to sneak in.

Yeah, the low beam sits low and have a nice low beam pattern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just put in piaa powersport plasma bulbs in my 2015 grizzly 700, 55-60 watt they are nice and [probably the best for plug and play] 2200 lumens each ( I think), you will have to change your fuse to a 15 amp from ten. from ebay the pair were 56.00 US dollars. H4 is the size and are available at most auto stores over the counter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts