Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to 4 wheelers and new to this forum.
I have not long ago purchased a Big Bear 400 and as usual looking for some knowledge.
Machine runs and drives great only issue I have is the wife said it's really hard to shift and I was wondering
if that's normal or if there is something that can be done about it ,I have rode it and it is difficult to shift.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Stiff shifting is a pretty common complaint. One great thing you can do is run a good quality engine oil. A good synthetic oil like Amsoil has done wonders for easier, smoother shifting on many people's manual ATV's and motorcycles of people that I know.
Secondly, learning good shifting techniques goes a long way. Incorrect shifting or operation is the biggest culprit, in my experience. When you shift up a gear, do not pull the shifter after completely letting go of the throttle. Rather shift as you are in motion of pulling back on the throttle. This will rev match the speed and allow easier shifting. If you wait until the throttle is completely closed, then the ATV can load up the gears with engine braking, and thus will make it difficult to shift.
When down shifting, blip the throttle to unload the gears and raise rpm to rev match the lower gear speed.
It's all in a learning curve. The more you do it, the better you'll get. And you'll find what works best for your bike.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Welcome to GC from Tn

·
Registered
867 Posts
Welcome from Missouri!