Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Grizzly 600 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just got my first ever quad, or as we say here, four-wheeler. I drove almost daily as a kid, but haven't had one in 20 years. I went with a 1999 Grizzly 600 4x4. I think I'm the third owner. Must have been stored inside as there is very little rust. I can see the ocean from my house, so I'll have to make efforts to keep it that way. Though in the winter after plowing I don't know how to wash the road salt off. It's too cold for a hose of course. Any tips appreciated.

I've made a space for it in my wood shop. I'm fairly handy, but I don't know much about mechanics. I manage to keep the farm tractor and my chain saws going so I hope to be able to do my own work on the bike. I leave my car alone, too computerized for me. I don't know much but I can follow directions. Which manual is recommended and where do I get one in Canada? The duties to get anything from the US, not to mention our dollar, makes that a no-go for me. Where do you Canucks source parts? What years are compatible? Which parts should be Yamaha and which can be knock offs? The only issue with my bike currently is no rear brake. I don't know how recently regular maintenance was done. What should I prioritise? Any special tools I should look for?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance. I'm happy to have joined the team.
Levi
grizzly.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Welcome 2 GC.

Reactions: Levi Earp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice to see another member from the Maritimes, I just joined myself yesterday. I feel your pain with the duty and difference in the US dollar, all the good stuff for the bikes seem to come out of the states.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Welcome Levi Earp and welcome Island Guy, this is a great site with great people, parts from the US sometimes are still cheaper paying the duty and exchange then what dealers in Canada want, I recently purchased a used rear brake caliber in mint condition from the US for my Griz, dealer wanted $360 with taxes new, payed 90 bucks Canadian to my door, took 9 days to get it, there are places like Royal Distributing that carry ATV parts for your Griz in Canada, have dealt with them for 30 years great service, just to name a few.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve gotten most of my motorcycle/four wheeler parts in the past from royal distributing and have been generally pretty happy with them. Your certainly right about some of the stuff out of the US though, have to know what you want and shop around. The same dollar disparity dose translate straight through to Canadian distributors.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Dealers prices for OEM parts are absolutely of the wall, if you ordered every OEM part to build a new 2021 Griz it would cost you 50 grand plus, my dealer said he cannot compete with online sellers, its no wonder with a 1000% mark up.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Forget about ever having a rear brake. Its a mechanical drum brake. If you do get it working, it will not last.

I am in Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Welcome to GC and congrats on the 600. They are tanks and it should serve you well. As far as priorities..... brakes are pretty important to me so if it runs good I'd say make it stop good.

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Get a bucket of hot water in the house and throw it on the bike to rinse the salt away, or two or three buckets......
and dezz is the expert here on those old bikes, and the rear brakes. Keep the front brakes working and be ready to drop the plow in an emergency :)
and see if you can get a f.s.m. manual here;

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Get a bucket of hot water in the house and throw it on the bike to rinse the salt away, or two or three buckets......
and dezz is the expert here on those old bikes, and the rear brakes. Keep the front brakes working and be ready to drop the plow in an emergency :)
and see if you can get a f.s.m. manual here;
Welcome to The Forum.. I'm originally from New Brunswick living in Northern Ontario now so I can give you a few pointers. First off as far as your cell tissue in the cold months don't worry about it wait until you get a nice warm spring day give it a good wash down corrosion won't happen in the cold it's extremely slow down not that you would ever really get enough on there to hurt anyway.
As for ordering parts as someone mentioned before Royal Distributing is a good source there here in Ontario there for stores you also can order from Revco.CA and fortnine.CA both are very good sources for tires and most unique Arts and they have decent shipping rates and if it's a large order they ship for free anywhere in Canada.
As far as replacing with OE parts your main ones would be a belt what you should never have to worry about anyways because it's a Yamaha. One other item to only replace with Oe would be the one way bearing in your clutch if it ever goes.
Not knowing the maintenance history on your bike I would highly suggest you do an oil change including engine front and rear diff and your filter normally I will be pushing using something such as Shell Rotella T6 oil and a Wix filter but just for Simplicity for you it may be easier just to go to your local Yamaha dealer grab an oil change kit and pick up a bottle of yamalube gilfoyle you'll be enough in the bottle to do front and rear diff twice. That's just a simple way to go for now to at least get your machine cleaned up and get you started on a good maintenance track your next change you could look into using other oils and filters such as many of us have done. I would definitely give your air filter good cleaning blow it out with compressed air from the inside I hope tapping it first then blowing the air from inside the filter towards the outside and maybe take advantage of one of those websites that I mentioned and pick yourself up a nice uni filter. I myself prefer the uni filters over a K&N as they are a foam filter the same as OEM but better and don't tend to let in as much dust and small particles as a K&N Filter will. And don't forget to drive a little bit of air filter oil. For now if you don't have any air filter oil there's a good chance you probably can get your hands on some two stroke mixing oil good substitute to get you by soap with sponge in it and squeeze but do not twist filter

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 Grizzly 600 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forget about ever having a rear brake. Its a mechanical drum brake. If you do get it working, it will not last.

I am in Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia.
Doesn't that mean if I'm in 2WD I have no brakes?

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Doesn't that mean if I'm in 2WD I have no brakes?
No not at all. It only means you will not have rear brakes.
There is nothing wrong with the front brakes. They are hydraulic disc brakes, and work fine. Keep them maintained, and they'll always work for you.
Of note, when in 4wd, applying any brake causes a braking action to all wheels through the drivetrain. When in 2wd, using the front brakes only effects the front tires. Pretty much self explanatory.

·
Registered
1999 Grizzly 600 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to The Forum.. I'm originally from New Brunswick living in Northern Ontario now so I can give you a few pointers. First off as far as your cell tissue in the cold months don't worry about it wait until you get a nice warm spring day give it a good wash down corrosion won't happen in the cold it's extremely slow down not that you would ever really get enough on there to hurt anyway.
As for ordering parts as someone mentioned before Royal Distributing is a good source there here in Ontario there for stores you also can order from Revco.CA and fortnine.CA both are very good sources for tires and most unique Arts and they have decent shipping rates and if it's a large order they ship for free anywhere in Canada.
As far as replacing with OE parts your main ones would be a belt what you should never have to worry about anyways because it's a Yamaha. One other item to only replace with Oe would be the one way bearing in your clutch if it ever goes.
Not knowing the maintenance history on your bike I would highly suggest you do an oil change including engine front and rear diff and your filter normally I will be pushing using something such as Shell Rotella T6 oil and a Wix filter but just for Simplicity for you it may be easier just to go to your local Yamaha dealer grab an oil change kit and pick up a bottle of yamalube gilfoyle you'll be enough in the bottle to do front and rear diff twice. That's just a simple way to go for now to at least get your machine cleaned up and get you started on a good maintenance track your next change you could look into using other oils and filters such as many of us have done. I would definitely give your air filter good cleaning blow it out with compressed air from the inside I hope tapping it first then blowing the air from inside the filter towards the outside and maybe take advantage of one of those websites that I mentioned and pick yourself up a nice uni filter. I myself prefer the uni filters over a K&N as they are a foam filter the same as OEM but better and don't tend to let in as much dust and small particles as a K&N Filter will. And don't forget to drive a little bit of air filter oil. For now if you don't have any air filter oil there's a good chance you probably can get your hands on some two stroke mixing oil good substitute to get you by soap with sponge in it and squeeze but do not twist filter

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Wow, that's great CanadianKodiak700, thanks for taking the time. I'll take your advice. I wouldn't have known about air filter oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts