Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I bought a 1990 Big Bear 350 4x4 yesterday. It came with a 3000 lbs winch and plow. There are a few gremlins (mostly bogged together wiring that I will redo) but it starts and runs pretty well. I have ordered a carb rebuild kit and wheel bearings along with a master cylinder rebuild kit.

The carb kit is due to the unit flooding out if run for more than 10 minutes and gas coming out the bottom hose on the carb.

The wheel bearings because I have to work on the front end for the brakes so I might as well do the bearings.

I also plan on doing the oil and filter and seeing as it doesn't have an air filter I'll get one of those as well. What else should I watch or look for?

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Hey all,

I bought a 1990 Big Bear 350 4x4 yesterday. It came with a 3000 lbs winch and plow. There are a few gremlins (mostly bogged together wiring that I will redo) but it starts and runs pretty well. I have ordered a carb rebuild kit and wheel bearings along with a master cylinder rebuild kit.

The carb kit is due to the unit flooding out if run for more than 10 minutes and gas coming out the bottom hose on the carb.

The wheel bearings because I have to work on the front end for the brakes so I might as well do the bearings.

I also plan on doing the oil and filter and seeing as it doesn't have an air filter I'll get one of those as well. What else should I watch or look for?
Welcome to Gc from Tn. Doesn't have an air filter wow I would get the carb fixed first so it's running good and make sure you don't have engine damage before you spend working on the brakes good luck the Big Bears are tanks.

Reactions: alexands

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
It would be in your best interest to pull the rear axle and clean the splines of rust. This will help save them from stripping. If they are damaged due to rust, a machine shop can repair them if they are not stripped. Once all put back together, install a grease zerk in the rear swing arm/axle tube, and fill it full of grease. This will help prevent axle spline failures in the future. New axles cost more than the bike is worth, and used axles are extremely rare and expensive too.

Lubricate the Hi/Lo/Reverse shifter cable on the left fender and make sure it's in good shape and free of rust. The last time I checked, these cables were discontinued by Yamaha and no longer available. Very hard to find part now.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Welcome 2 GC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dezz

It would be in your best interest to pull the rear axle and clean the splines of rust. This will help save them from stripping. If they are damaged due to rust, a machine shop can repair them if they are not stripped. Once all put back together, install a grease zerk in the rear swing arm/axle tube, and fill it full of grease. This will help prevent axle spline failures in the future. New axles cost more than the bike is worth, and used axles are extremely rare and expensive too.

Lubricate the Hi/Lo/Reverse shifter cable on the left fender and make sure it's in good shape and free of rust. The last time I checked, these cables were discontinued by Yamaha and no longer available. Very hard to find part now.
Hi Dezz,

Thanks for the tips, I will make sure I do all these things. The Hi/Lo/Reverse cable is brand new, but not setup yet for reverse. I am going to get that all setup and greased when I get the plastics off the bike.

The axles I will make sure I follow your advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Welcome from Missouri!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts