Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks
I am rebuilding a Timberwolf 250 ('91ish). My saddle is shot and no replacements other than shot saddles on ebay. Any idea if there are compatible models? Using spit and duct tape at this point.

Also, the thing rides like a tank. Would replacing the shock improve the ride?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
New aftermarket seat covers are easy to find and are inexpensive. Seat foam, not so much. Since no aftermarket seat foam made to size is available, you could buy a replacement foam from a seat that you know is much bigger than yours. Then whittle it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seat replacement and shock

Thing is my seat assembly is shot. the frame is crumbling. If I can find a sim seat, I can modify.

Any idea a comparable shock too? Need to replace but cant find specs.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Thing is my seat assembly is shot. the frame is crumbling. If I can find a sim seat, I can modify.

Any idea a comparable shock too? Need to replace but cant find specs.
Where are you located. For the seat there may be a salvage place that has a base available. Even if the hardware is beat up those components can be purchased. Foam you could probably get someone to make or modify a similar one to fit.

For the shock, I would just measure your old one for overall length, eyelet diameter and width, and find something close on ebay. Or find a Bronco of similar dimensions. If yours is a single rear shock, you'll want one from a single rear shock machine. If double, from a double.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
You can replace the rear shock if you like, but if the your shock is not bouncing (blown or leaked out), then your probably still in for a rough ride. They only have around 5" of travel (4.9" exactly if I remember correctly). There is only so much comfort you can get with so little travel.
The front suspension uses struts on the Timberwolf. You cannot replace just the shock portion. The entire assembly must be replaced. Unfortunately there is no aftermarket replacement for this. You can only replace it with the same OEM part.

The Timberwolf is not a good riding ATV. None of the Yamaha utility ATV's from that era are or were. Actually, about the only soft riding utility ATV's from that era were Polaris, and they had notoriously poor reliability in those times. Worse than today.

You can install a different, suitable rear shock if you like. Get one that measures close to your factory one. You could also install a slightly longer shock to possibly get a little more travel. But be weary of doing this. This puts the rear U-joint in the swingarm in a sharper angle, increasing wear and possible breaking under heavy load. And those yokes are stupid expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts