Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with fan problems due to my Ignition key switch. I had fan problems one day, and after watching a video I found out what was keeping it from coming on. Well it turned out that a brown wire on the back of the ignition key switch was pulled out. So I took another piece of wire, cut the original off because it was now too short, and rewired and soldered it back on. Well that got the fan going again... Until my soldering job failed me and the wire pulled out again from the turning of the handlebars while riding. I tried to solder it back on, but this time the fan wouldn't work... So I went again and spent 7 bucks to buy a new Caltric key ignition switch... Well, all was well until I seen my Oil Temp like turn back on and found out the fan still wasn't working. Well, it wouldn't work when the key switch was on with engine on or off, but it would work when I turned the key off! So the fan worked fine. But I figured it was a faulty key ignition switch and put the other back on until I bought a better quality one. Well I went and bought a Kimpex ignition key switch for 30 bucks thinking that would solve all the issues. I put the new one in, and it gave me the same results! The cooling fan only works when the fourwheeler is off and the key is in the off position. So I'm stump. The only thing I can thing of is that those two key switches are not compatible with my fourwheeler and are wired differently. I think the only thing I can do at this point is spend the damn 58 bucks for a new oem yamaha ignition key switch and hope that fix all the problems, but before I do, I want to make sure this isn't being caused by something else... like maybe a fuse or something else? I have no idea if its just because these key switches are not compatible even though they say they are, and need an oem factory key switch, or if something else could be causing this issue.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm finally getting all my carburetor and ctv mods situated and slowly tuning them, but I haven't been able to go for a long ride due to heating/cooling fan problems for a couple weeks now, and I'm dying to go for a good ride. I'm thinking of trying to rewire the old one again, but one end just doesn't have much wire to work with, barely any at all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I went ahead and re-soldered the original better than it was... and it turned out that it worked, and got the fan working normally again. As for the other two, they are duds for my bike. I'm gonna have to just go ahead and spend the extra money on the oem yamaha switch. :(

Reactions: monksblood

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information. I would never of suspected a new key switch as a culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old forum, but after a lot of time spent diagnosing the problem, I have some more information I hope will save somebody some time. Almost all aftermarket ignition switches are wired incorrectly and are incompatible with (and can cause damage to) most 4x4 Yamahas.

I ordered an $8 ignition switch and took a multimeter to it and check the continuity. I tested the OEM original switch and found that when the key was off, there was NO continuity (as there shouldn't be). Once it was on, the continuity continued through both sets of wires. With the aftermarket ignition switch, when it is in the off position the radiator fan and other related accessories are on (draining the battery), and when the switch is turned on, these accessories are turned off while the ATV appears to run normally, but THE RADIATOR FAN WILL NOT TURN ON! This can cause overheating and engine damage. The wiring issue is inside the key mechanism itself and can't be fixed by swapping the wires at the terminal plug.

My advice is to test any aftermarket ignition switch to see if it is wired correctly. I've done a lot of digging, and there are a lot of reviews stating the same thing (look up a switch on Amazon and read the reviews).

Hope this can help someone!

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Did you need to hack in this main switch? Does it have 3 wires?
One wire should be red and connected to the main fuse on starter relay. One connected to all the other fuses. And one connected to the fan circuit.
The fan can not run unless the thermo switch detects a certain temperature. The main switch itself can not bypass that switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you need to hack in this main switch? Does it have 3 wires?
One wire should be red and connected to the main fuse on starter relay. One connected to all the other fuses. And one connected to the fan circuit.
The fan can not run unless the thermo switch detects a certain temperature. The main switch itself can not bypass that switch.
On my machine it's 4 wires into the main ignition switch. The bottom two (closest to the clip) run the thermo switch and fan among other things. The fan will only run if the vehicle is hot and thermo switch says it should run, but that can ONLY happen when the switch is off. When the aftermarket switch is turned on, it allows the machine to run but the thermo switch and fan are turned off.

So if you are running the machine hard with an aftermarket switch, the fan won't kick on until you turn off the machine. It will then kick on until the the therm switch sees it's cool enough. The risk that you run is that you overheat the machine while the key is turned on.

I didn't have to "hack" the switch, I just decided to purchase the OEM switch for about $33. The OEM part for 2007-2014 Grizzly 450s is 5ND-82510-00-00 and can be found at Yamaha 5ND-82510-00-00 - MAIN SWITCH ASSY | Partzilla.com.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
kelsonjdavies
Thanks for the heads up on the cheap switches.
For some unknown reason I thought you were talking about a 660.
Looked it up in my 450 manual
2 reds that are tied together coming from the main fuse
1 Brown/Blue powers all the other systems/fuses
1 Brown runs to fan circuit breaker and Thermo switch.
FYI..here is a copy of the schematic.

Reactions: kelsonjdavies
1 - 7 of 7 Posts