Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have 2017 grizzly and am looking to upgrade the tires from the stockers. I'm kind of set on the traxion gripper max. I like the idea of a tough 8ply radial. I've read great reviews. I do alot of hauling with it, hunting, trail riding,and use it in the winter so I need a good all around tire. I also want a 27" for a bit of clearance.
They are only available in 27x9x12 and 27x10x12. I like the idea of a square setup but not sure which size to get all around. Any advice? I plan to keep the machine stock and don't want to get into clutch work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is it a 700cc? You might get by with no mods except for the "a lot of hauling" part unless you use low gear.
I'm running 26" ITP Bajacross XD 8 ply radials and have been happy with them. They are heavy but have good all around traction, smooth ride, hold air pressure good, and are almost bullet proof.
I got over 9k trouble free/no flat miles on my first set of 25". They don't seem to be very popular with ATV riders though probably because of the weight, they are considered to be a SXS tire.

See my signature for a better description of my Grizzly and accessories.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I went with the Bear Claw HTR's, stuck with the stock size of 26's and were quit a bit bigger than the stockers mine came with, they are a 8 ply radial and good for all around usage, I do a lot of towing as well and I would suggest a easy shim mod if you do not want the machined sheave, it will make a difference with your towing and if you go with 27's, mine are 26x9's and 26x11's with 6500kms and are still in great shape with no flats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's a 700, i have a bush buggy that I use to haul fire wood and moose and its always in low when pulling. I started reading about the kenda Htrs good reviews. Kind of set on the gripper max I haven't heard much negative about them and the price can't be beat. I also like to play around up in Ontario where I am there's no shortage of deep mud holes, rocks and logs to get hung up on so I really lik the idea of more ground clearance with 27". I do have full Rival aluminum skid plates. Can't decide between 9" fronts and 10" rears or square 9 or square 10.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Gripper Max are a nice tire, I think you can't go wrong with them, I would go with the 27 9x12 fronts and 27 10x12 rears, the sizes run bigger that's why they only offer 10x12 in the 27's, they are closer to 11's, I prefer narrower in the front then square 10's, I find wide tires in the front grabs more making the steering more jerky on narrow trails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the trigger on 27x9x12 front and 27x10x12 rear. I realized since I'll be using the stock rims I won't be able to rotate anyways with a square setup. And since the rims are different widths the same width tire might balloon more on one set then the other. I'll post pics when they come in!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I pulled the trigger on 27x9x12 front and 27x10x12 rear. I realized since I'll be using the stock rims I won't be able to rotate anyways with a square setup. And since the rims are different widths the same width tire might balloon more on one set then the other. I'll post pics when they come in!
Yes the profile wouldn't match because of the difference in wheel widths. (6" vs 7.5")

I was lucky to score two mint front factory wheels that matched my fronts for 50$

1 - 8 of 8 Posts