Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been away for a while as things have kept me from my grizz. Anyways, apparently something was living in it and my dog wanted to find out what it was. He had ripped the seat off and has ripped some of the wiring out too. This is a pic taken under the front left fender if you are sitting on the bike. Is it possible to replace that section of wiring harness or will I have to completely replace the whole harness. This is a 2002 660. Thanks in advance!! IMG_1065.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Really, one wire at a time it could be repaired. Do not use crimp connections. Everything should be soldered with heat shrink over it.

Make sure to disconnect the battery ground first.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Really, one wire at a time it could be repaired. Do not use crimp connections. Everything should be soldered with heat shrink over it.

Make sure to disconnect the battery ground first.
X2 Exactly what he said

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! So I've never soldered before but am pretty handy with most things. If I buy a kit and read up on it should it be pretty easy to figure out?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
With the proper gun, flux and wire size , soldering is easy onces you get comfortable with it. I usually use dual wall shrink rap. It has an inner layer of glue gun like material. So when heated the outer layer shrinks and tightens on the wires and soder, the inner layer melts and bonds everything water tight and solid.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the proper gun, flux and wire size , soldering is easy onces you get comfortable with it. I usually use dual wall shrink rap. It has an inner layer of glue gun like material. So when heated the outer layer shrinks and tightens on the wires and soder, the inner layer melts and bonds everything water tight and solid.

So each individual wire needs its own shrink wrap?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
So each individual wire needs its own shrink wrap?

Yes.

If got access to them (and a good heat gun with rap shield), using solder sleeves is the answer. They will solder the joint, heat shink and seal it all on one step. I use these all the time now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would drive me crazy, I would end up replacing the whole wiring unit. 5KM-82590-00-00 WIRE HARNESS ASSY $291.49

I'm actually leaning towards doing that. I just can't help but imagine that if I try to reconnect everything I will have a never ending string of problems. But, I can only imagine how much of a pain it's going to be to replace that entire harness.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm actually leaning towards doing that. I just can't help but imagine that if I try to reconnect everything I will have a never ending string of problems. But, I can only imagine how much of a pain it's going to be to replace that entire harness.

I dont think it would be to bad, plus it would give you the chance to get it all clean again. just take lots of pic and videos to help you put it all back together.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I found a used wiring harness and ordered that. It should be here this weekend. After looking further into it, it seemed easier to replace the entire harness rather than try to splice all those wires back together under the front fender. I also ordered a new ignition key assembly as he destroyed that as well. He also ripped out the 12v accessory outlet but I plan to splice that one back together.

Does anyone want a dog?! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know the headache!!! Not the wiring side, but the dog destroying stuff. Used to have a golden retriever... great dog, but anytime a chipmunk would run up the down spout for the gutters, he'd crush the bottom end, actually tear the down spout off the house, crush the other end, and tear the center open like a soup can just to get to the dang thing. Hence why all my downspouts range in color from white to green to tan to brown!!;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know the headache!!! Not the wiring side, but the dog destroying stuff. Used to have a golden retriever... great dog, but anytime a chipmunk would run up the down spout for the gutters, he'd crush the bottom end, actually tear the down spout off the house, crush the other end, and tear the center open like a soup can just to get to the dang thing. Hence why all my downspouts range in color from white to green to tan to brown!!;)

Get a dog they say. It'll be fun they say...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's fixed!!

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Congrats!

Assuming you used the replacement wiring harness, curiosity has me asking approx. how long to replace?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats!

Assuming you used the replacement wiring harness, curiosity has me asking approx. how long to replace?

Yes I used a replacement harness. Found a used one on eBay. I would say it took around 3 hours including clean up and putting everything back together. It wasn't too bad at all. It not totally put back together at the moment. I left the front rack and hood off because I need to order a new 12v plug and I've got one plug under there that I don't know what plugs into it. I started another thread about that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats! How long to replace that?

Around 3 hours but I didn't put it completely back together to do some more maintenance later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts