Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

HELP!! Just bought a used Grizzly, it has now bottom end power on take off.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  upNorth 
#1 ·
Hey, haven?t been on here in prob 7 years or so. Here?s my dilemma; I just bought a used 07? 700, it has 27? mudlites. The seller told me that it had a Yamaha Oem heavy secondary spring installed because of the big tires but as far as I know no other clutch mods. It is very gutless on take off, feels more like it has 30? tires on... I?m comparing it to my 08? 700 with 27? outlaws before I had the primary machined. This thing will barely get moving unless you really lean into the throttle, wheelies are out of the question. So... I was doing a bunch of work on it, had the belt cover off, the secondary spring is orange ( like I said apparently a factory Yamaha part off of some other machine?s part listing ) it was really dirty in there so I serviced the primary rollers, replaced the belt and put a 1mm shim in. Didn?t seem to make any difference at all. Mudlites are lighter than outlaws and this thing seems to have way less power than the 08? I used to have. Long story short, I believe the secondary spring shouldn?t really affect my take off ratio right? It only affects the rate at which it back shifts... 1mm shim mod did drop the belt down a bit in primary, but didn?t seem to help power at all on take off. From past experience a machine primary made a fairly big difference after putting 27? outlaws on. Maybe I?ll have to do that again. My question to you guys is do you think there could be anything else wrong? Clutch side primary sheave had a lip at the bottom of belt travel so that belt wasn?t riding flat against sheave right at the bottom, is my sheave worn out? Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the wet clutch slipping?

#4 ·
Hey up North..Welcome back..

Secondary could be hanging up. With the engine off is the belt exposed on the secondary maybe 3-4mm. You may need to rotate the CVT by hand several times to bring it out to the full ratio.

I can only assume you have check out other standard maintenance possibilities.
New spark plug, clean the air filter.

Maybe consider checking the valves.
Check the throttle positioning sensor should run from around 17-18 up to 99-100.

#5 ·
Thanks, it?s good to own a grizzly again...According to your description I think the secondary is where it should be/ belt riding a few mm above pulley but I will double check that. I was going to check the valves yet, haven?t checked any fuel/ignition components as it seems to have good power once you get moving. That being said it looks like the jug is pretty new/shiny compared to the rest of the engine. I think it might have been rebuilt recently ( seller didn?t tell me this, hopefully they did a good job) This machine has 5000km/ 3800ish miles on it. It?s actually quite snappy when you punch it while already rolling at 15km/hr but I?m going to go through it and check the plug/ wire/ air filter /valves. Maybe pull the injector and see if the tip is getting plugged off a bit. Do these things have a fuel filter at all?

#7 ·
I've found that those early years are more snappy than the later ones like my '13. Off the line my 660 got the jump on most 700's.
Do you have a service manual? Many tests and some adjustments that can be done from the pod. Like the TPS. Those early years the F/A can be adjusted a limited amount.
Maybe a "new jug" might indicate you should to check the timing.
There is a filter in the fuel tank connected to the fuel pump.
I would service the secondary since you have it apart. Dirt,grit and solidified grease can hamper the secondary when back shifting. Clean it up, look for wear on the pins and new grease.

#6 ·
Is the pulley ratio near 2.62 to 1?

#8 ·
I have had a similar experience to reogem. I have driven a 2007 700 that's fuel injectected and I have a '02 660 (carb of course.. hmm) that will take it off the line easily as long as I have a surface that'll give my traction. Of course once the 700 gets it's act together I'm dead meat but it might have something to do with that year. Let us know what you find!
P.S for those of you saying I" thought you want more power?" I did but I did this recently.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the advice/tips. Here’s an update. So I started by sending my primary clutch out to have the roller weight/ ramps machined for a lower starting gear. I didn’t test drive it after installing the modified/serviced clutch as I had all my plastic off for cleaning the throttle body and so on. Serviced my secondary as well, installed new belt, cleaned throttlebody ( was pretty dirty/ not impressed by that. I checked my valve timing and it was spot on. Checked my valve adjustment, they were good .004 and .006. Spark plug was like new, installed a k+n filter, cut a hole in the air box lid and covered it with outerwears. Installed a 2R exh tip, set the pod to +35. What a difference, nice and snappy on the bottom now, will spin all 4 tires on dry cement. I’ll do a wheelie test come summer time. Thanks again for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.